Wheeling Historic District
Wheeling Historic District
Wheeling Historic District, December 2006
|Location||Roughly bounded by RR tracks, Eoff, Water, and 10th Sts., Wheeling, West Virginia|
|Area||55.8 acres (22.6 ha)|
|Architectural style||Late 19th And 20th Century Revivals, Greek Revival, Late Victorian|
|NRHP Reference #||79002597|
|Added to NRHP||December 31, 1979|
Wheeling Historic District, also known as the Wheeling Central Business District, is a national historic district located at Wheeling, Ohio County, West Virginia. The district includes 205 contributing buildings in the central business district of Wheeling. It includes the site of the original location of Fort Henry. The buildings are representative of a number of popular architectural styles from the early-19th century through the present including Greek Revival and Late Victorian. Notable buildings include the United States Custom House (1859); United States Courthouse, Custom House, and Post Office (1905); St. Matthew's Church and Rectory (c. 1892), Thomas Paull House (c. 1835), English Lutheran Church (1897) designed by Franzheim, Greisey, and Faris, First United Presbyterian Church (1825), City Bank Building (c. 1890) also designed by Franzheim, Greisey, and Faris, Bank of Wheeling (1892) also designed by Franzheim, Greisey, and Faris, Capitol Theatre (c. 1926), Medical Tower Building (1915), and Joseph Speidel & Company Building. It includes the separately listed West Virginia Independence Hall and Baltimore and Ohio Passenger Terminal (1907-1908).
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- Frederick Ellsworth Kleyle (November 1978). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory Nomination Form: Wheeling Historic Districtl". State of West Virginia, West Virginia Division of Culture and History, Historic Preservation. Retrieved 2011-09-01.
All of the following are located in Wheeling, Ohio County, WV:
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. WV-53, "U. S. Custom House, Market & Sixteenth Streets", 15 photos, 3 data pages, 2 photo caption pages
- HABS No. WV-199, "Thomas Paull House, 1314 Chapline Street", 4 photos, 2 measured drawings, 7 data pages, 1 photo caption page
- HABS No. WV-182, "Bank of Wheeling, 1229 Main Street", 2 photos, 1 color transparency, 1 measured drawing, 8 data pages, 2 photo caption pages
- HABS No. WV-227, "Medical Tower Building, Twelfth & Main Streets", 3 photos, 1 photo caption page
- HABS No. WV-204, "Joseph Speidel & Company Building, 1417 Main Street", 6 photos, 1 color transparency, 1 measured drawing, 6 data pages, 2 photo caption pages