Wheeling Island is the most populated island in the Ohio River. It lies within the city of Wheeling in Ohio County, West Virginia, in the United States. The 2000 census showed a resident population of 3,142 people on the island, which has a land area of 1.514 km² (374 acres). Neville Island, PA is larger (3.4km²) but has fewer people (1,232).
Wheeling Island is home to the Wheeling Island Racetrack and Gaming Center at Wheeling Downs and Wheeling Island Stadium, home of the West Virginia State Football Championships. The island lies at the mouths of Wheeling Creek of Ohio and Wheeling Creek of West Virginia.
Two additional bridges cross the back channel of the Ohio River to connect the island to Bridgeport, one for Interstate 70, and a second for US 250 and US 40.
- Hay, Jerry M. (2008). "Ohio River Guidebook". Inland Waterways Books. p. 22. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- U.S. Census Bureau: Census Tracts 5 and 6, Ohio County, West Virginia
- Wheeling Island Racetrack & Gaming Center
- Wheeling Island.org - Information and Resources
- Creative Impressions Publisher of Wheeling Island: A Photographic History by Robert W. Schramm