||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2009)|
|Birth name||Choi HweeSung|
|Also known as||Wheesung, The RealSlow, Korean R&B Prince|
February 5, 1982 |
Seoul, South Korea
|Genres||K-pop, R&B, Soul|
|Occupations||Singer, Song-writer, record producer|
|Labels||YMC Entertainment (Korea, 2011-)
Universal Music Group (US, 2011-)
|Revised Romanization||Choe Hwi-seong|
Choi Hwee-Sung (born February 5, 1982), better known by his first name Wheesung (Korean: 휘성), is a South Korean R&B singer. He initially attended the Sun Moon University, under the journalism major but dropped out. Wheesung subsequently attended the Gukje Digital University and Kyung Hee University's Graduate School of Communication.
Wheesung began his career in 1999 with the short lived Korean boy band, A4. He left after the band's first album debut, citing musical differences between himself and the other members of the band. After being released from A4, he signed onto M Boat, a former sister company to YG Entertainment. He underwent a few years of vocal training under the label and released his first solo album Like A Movie in 2002. The album became very popular after receiving praise from many well-known artists, including Seo Taiji and Shin Seung Hun. In 2003, he released his second album, It's Real. It proved to be as popular as his first, making him the best selling artist of 2003 in Korea. Unlike his debut album, It's Real wasn't restricted to R&B and it included different musical elements like pop and hip-hop. Wheesung left YG Entertainment after his contract expired in March 2006. He signed a new contract that is reportedly worth 1.5 million won with his new company Orange Shock Agency.
Wheesung has collaborated with many artists. In late 2008, Wheesung has collaborated once again with Lee Hyori who featured as his girlfriend in his music video of "별이 지다.." (Fading Star) in the "With All My Heart and Soul" album. In 2009, Wheesung seeks help from producer Lee Hyun-do, they will collaborate to produce the new album which the release date has been set in August 2009.
2009-2010: USA and label changes
In April 2009, Wheesung is the MC/host of a new Mnet TV show called "Pre Star-1 Show. This show gives opportunities for new talented singers to introduce themselves, a platform for them to reach out to more fans. Every month about nine or ten teams will be introduced on Mnet.com and the team which receives most response from the netizens will be chosen onto the show. The chosen team/singer will also be given the chance to perform with popular stars. Wheesung's Pre-Show 1 Show’ started airing on 24 April on Mnet Cable Channel.
Wheesung had participated in several Kpop concerts in Los Angeles, California, which include the Hollywood Bowl, and the Victory Concert. On June 19, 2009, Wheesung and Lena Park held a concert in Los Angeles Disney Concert Hall. After the concert, Wheesung planned to stay in Los Angeles for a month to work on his new album with producer Lee Hyun-do. The new album will go back to the r&b/hiphop style similar to "With Me" and "Incurable Disease". The new album is set to be released in August 2009. Wheesung also claimed in an interview that he wants to visit Pink's Hot Dogs while in LA. On June 27 and July 4, Wheesung performed at "Insomnia Concert" and club Le Cercle in LA. On July 11, he performed at the HALO nightclub in Hollywood.
In June 2009, Wheesung changed his label again from Orange Shock to POP/UP Entertainment, which houses stars like JK Kim Dong Wook and group M to M. Wheesung has decided to change his label because former producer, Park Gun Tae, concentrated more on producing and working by himself. Wheesung gave thanks to Park Gun Tae for his growth as an artist and hopes to learn from him as a little brother, no longer as an artist under a producer.
2011: Military service
In 2011, he transferred to Tae Jin Ah's YMC Entertainment. Soon after joining YMC Entertainment, he recruited female singer Ailee. On 7 November 2011, he enlisted for mandatory military service. He will serve 21 months of active service after completing five-week of basic training course at a boot camp in Nonsan, South Chungcheong Province.
On 11 July 2012 Wheesung was granted a 9 nights, 10 days temporary leave from the army to undergo surgery for a herniated disc as well as other medical conditions such as bilateral shoulders dislocation, psoriasis and alopecia.
- MBC Music Camp: 1 "안되나요" (July 20, 2002)
- SBS Popular Song(Inkigayo): No. 1 "안되나요" (Continuous 2 weeks - July 28, August 4, 2002)
- MBC Music Camp: 1 "With me" (October 4, 2003)
- SBS Popular Song(Inkigayo): Mutizen Song "With me" (Continuous 2 weeks - October 5, October 12, 2003)
- MBC Music Camp: 1 "다시 만난 날" (Continuous 2 weeks - November 22, November 29, 2003)
- SBS Popular Song(Inkigayo): Mutizen Song "다시 만난 날" (December 7, 2003)
- Mnet M! Countdown: No. 1 "불치병" (Continuous 2 weeks - November 16, November 23, 2004)
- MBC Music Camp: 1 "불치병" (Continuous 5 weeks - November 27, December 4, December 11, December 18, December 25, 2004)
- SBS Popular Song(Inkigayo): Mutizen Song "Good bye luv" (Continuous 2 weeks - October 30, November 6, 2005)
- SBS Pouplar Song(Inkigayo): Mutizen Song "일년이면" (December 11, 2005)
- KBS Music Bank: K-Chart No. 1 "사랑은 맛있다♡" (September 28, 2007)
- SBS Popular Song(Inkigayo): Mutizen Song "사랑은 맛있다♡" (October 7, 2007)
- Mnet M! Countdown: No. 1 "가슴 시린 이야기" (March 24, 2011)
- MBC Music Show Champion: Champion Song "Night and Day" (May 21, 2014)
- Wheesung signs with Universal for American Debut (allkpop)
- "휘성(최휘성) 가수". Naver 인물검색 (in Korean). 14 March 2011. Retrieved 3 August 2011.
- Heraldbiz: Wheesung hosts new Mnet TV program, Pre Show-1 Show
- Global Pop: Wheesung & Lena Park at Disney Concert Hall
- Daum News: Wheesung changes Agency to join JK Kim Dong Wook and M to M
- "Tae Jin Ah establishes YMC Entertainment to broaden musical genres" Naver News. 14 September 2011. Retrieved 2012-04-01 (Korean)
- Kim, JiYeon "Wheesung Joins the Army" Mnet News. 7 November 2011. Retrieved 2012-04-01
- Ho, Stewart (12 July 2012). "Wheesung Receives Temporary Leave From Army to Receive Surgery for Herniated Disc". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 6 October 2012.
- "2003 M.net Korean Music Festival Winners list". MAMA. Retrieved 2014-06-12.
- "2004 M.net Korean Music Festival Winners list". MAMA. Retrieved 2014-06-12.
- "2005 M.net Korean Music Festival Winners list". MAMA. Retrieved 2014-06-12.