When We Was Fab
|"When We Was Fab"|
UK picture sleeve
|Single by George Harrison|
|from the album Cloud Nine|
"That's The Way It Goes (remix)" (12" and CD only)
"When We Was Fab (reverse end)" (12" and CD only)
|Released||25 January 1988|
|Format||7", 12", CD|
|Label||Dark Horse Records|
|Writer(s)||Jeff Lynne, George Harrison|
|Producer(s)||Jeff Lynne, George Harrison|
|George Harrison singles chronology|
"When We Was Fab" is a song written by George Harrison and Jeff Lynne about the days of Beatlemania, when The Beatles were first referred to as the "Fab Four". The song appears as the sixth track on Harrison's 1987 album Cloud Nine and was later released as the second single from that album in January 1988.
The song has similarities to later Beatles songs, such as I Am The Walrus. It uses a string quartet and psychedelic effects as did many Beatles songs.
In the United Kingdom, it peaked at number 25 in the UK Singles Chart, and in the United States, the song peaked at number 23 in Billboard magazine's Hot 100 singles chart. It is Harrison's last Top 40 hit in the US, and the second such hit in which the lyrics reflect on his years as a Beatle - the other being "All Those Years Ago".
In 2010, AOL radio listeners chose "When We Was Fab" as one of the 10 Best George Harrison Songs, appearing at number 9 on the list.
- 7" W8131
- "When We Was Fab" - 3:59
- "Zig Zag" - 2:45
- An instrumental track originally appearing on the 1986 soundtrack for the film Shanghai Surprise.
- 12" W8131T, 12" picture disc W8131TP, 3" CD W8131CD
- "When We Was Fab" (unextended version)
- "Zig Zag" - 2:45
- "That's The Way It Goes" (remix)
- The original version appears on Harrison's 1982 album Gone Troppo.
- "When We Was Fab" (reverse end)
- The extended version of the song, containing the last few seconds of the song played in reverse.
The single cover incorporates Klaus Voormann's 1966 line drawing of Harrison, which was used in the album art for The Beatles' album Revolver (the letters ER from the title are visible), along with a similar, updated drawing of Harrison 22 years later.
The music video that accompanied the song was directed by Godley & Creme. Ringo Starr appears prominently first as Harrison's "assistant" and then as the drummer. Also making guest appearances in the video are Jeff Lynne, Elton John (putting the coin in the cup) and Ray Cooper.
- George Harrison - When We Was Fab at Graham Calkin's Beatles Pages.
- Full lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics
- Dickinson, Boonsri. "10 Best George Harrison Songs". AOL.
- "George Harrison - "When we was fab"". mvdbase.com. Retrieved 23 December 2010.
- "MTV Video Music Awards | 1988 | Highlights, Winners, Performers and Photos from the 1988 MTV Video Music Awards". MTV.com. 7 September 1988. Retrieved 23 December 2010.