When Will I Be Loved (film)
|When Will I Be Loved|
|Directed by||James Toback|
|Produced by||Ron Rotholz|
|Written by||James Toback|
|Distributed by||IFC Films|
|Running time||81 minutes|
When Will I Be Loved is a 2004 American drama film written and directed by James Toback and starring Neve Campbell. The film had a 35-page script and was mostly improvised throughout its 12-day shoot.
Vera (Neve Campbell) is a femme fatale for the 21st century: a beautiful, capricious young woman living in New York who begins exploring the limits of her sexual and intellectual power. She picks up men on the street and has sex with them in her apartment. She also videotapes a sexual romp with a female lover, and has sexually frank discussions with her potential employer. As the daughter of wealthy, indulgent parents, Vera seems to be improvising her way through the beginning of her life as an adult.
Her boyfriend, Ford (Frederick Weller), is a fast-talking hustler prepared to do anything to make a buck. Aware of Vera's promiscuity, Ford sees a chance to make big money when he meets an aging Italian media mogul, named Count Tommaso (Dominic Chianese), who is enamored of Vera because of her sexuality, her intelligence, and what he perceives as her naiveté. Ford cooks up an idea to pimp Vera out to the Count for $100,000, easy money, if he can only talk Vera into it. Incredibly, she agrees. Everything appears to be going even better than planned.
But both men have gravely underestimated Vera, who has an agenda of her own. Ford and the Count unwittingly play right into her hands, and when her plan of deception and manipulation comes to fruition, the results are staggering.
- Neve Campbell as Vera Barrie
- Frederick Weller as Ford Welles
- Dominic Chianese as Count Tommaso Lupo
- Ashley Shelton as Ashley
- James Toback as Professor Hassan Al-Ibrahim Ben Rabinowitz
- Oliver "Power" Grant as Power
- Mike Tyson as himself
- Ebert, Roeger. "From 'Scream' queen to intelligent sexpot" SunTimes.com (September 19, 2004)
- Childress, Eric. "CineVegas '05 Interview ('The Outsider' Director Nicholas Jarecki)"
- When Will I Be Loved at the Internet Movie Database
- When Will I Be Loved at allmovie
- When Will I Be Loved at Rotten Tomatoes
- When Will I Be Loved at Metacritic
|This 2000s drama film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an erotic film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|