When You're Gone (Avril Lavigne song)
|"When You're Gone"|
|Single by Avril Lavigne|
|from the album The Best Damn Thing|
|Released||19 June 2007
(see release history)
(Los Angeles, California);
Abbey Road Studios,
|Genre||Pop, pop rock|
|Writer(s)||Avril Lavigne, Butch Walker|
|Avril Lavigne singles chronology|
"When You're Gone" is a song written by Franco-Canadian singer Avril Lavigne and Butch Walker. It was written for Lavigne's 2007 album, The Best Damn Thing. It was co-written and produced by Butch Walker and released as the album's second single on 19 June 2007.
Avril Lavigne has said the song "is about being with someone you love, and you have to say goodbye, and all the little things you miss about them". The song may have been inspired by Lavigne's then-husband, Deryck Whibley, although in an interview in Northern Ireland with The Belfast Telegraph she did not confirm this. According to her, she did not intend the song to be a love song, but she was writing a slow song and the process brought out "all that emotional stuff" in her. "It's not cheesy, because I wrote it", she said. "If I was older, a professional writer coming up with all that, that would be lame."
Billboard magazine describes the song as "a power ballad with a piano and synth introduction". Composer Rob Mathes orchestrated the song with genuine string section, although the brief opening note, before the piano came in, was on a synthesizer.
Bill Lamb of About.com gave "When You're Gone" four out of five stars saying "Avril Lavigne's biggest hit singles are anything but subtle. "When You're Gone" is a big, yearning pop ballad pulling out all the stops on its words of the pain of separation from a loved one. A moody synth chord drops into a keyboard figure followed by downbeat strummed guitar accompanying Avril's opening vocals. The musical scene is set for an emotionally cathartic singalong". Alex Nunn wrote that Avril hasn't lost her sense in ballads with this song. Stylus was mixed calling the song "turgid and humdrum," but "taken at times by an exhilarating slickness." Dave Donnely was mixed to positive: "Ballad and expected next single ‘When You’re Gone’ may be the best of the bunch, though it’s superficially like any number of pop-rock ballads, with contemplative lyrics lending the album a little bit of emotional depth. The theme, separation from a lover, is universal, and the lyrics simple: “I always needed time on my own/I never thought I’d need you there when I cried/And the days feel like years when I’m alone/And the bed where you lie is made up on your side.” PopMatters stated that this song tries to match "I'm With You" but it fails.
The video was directed by Marc Klasfeld, who is most well-known from his works of director for Sum 41's music videos. Lavigne reportedly came up with the concept for the video. The video portrays three relationships in different age groups, but in the same situation involving these relationships on the verge of being destroyed. The first relationship involves a pregnant woman whose husband is fighting in the war. The second involves an elderly man whose wife has recently died. And the third involves a teenage couple walking in the park only to be caught by the girl's controlling mother who forbids them from seeing each other ever again. Lavigne said that the video is very personal. In the end, the scenes break out daylight with the teenage girl returning to the place where the duo were caught, the elderly man drinking to his wife in a graveyard, and an SMS from the pregnant woman's husband, with the text "I'm okay. I miss U". Lavigne is then seen running in a field once more until the screen fades out.
Portions of the video were filmed at California State University, Northridge's Botanic Garden. The video was premiered on MuchMusic in Canada on 6 June 2007 during the 5 pm broadcast of MuchOnDemand. While in the United States it was premiered on MTV's TRL on 21 June. It reached the No. 1 spot on both TV music channel countdowns on August.
Chart performance and promotion
Before its release as a single in the United States, "When You're Gone" reached number ninety on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 and number seventy-seven on the Billboard Pop 100, in the Billboard issue dated 5 May 2007. The song later re-entered the charts and peaked at numbers twenty-four and sixteen, respectively. It did well on the charts in Canada where it reached number eight. As of July 2013, "When You're Gone" sold 1,211,000 digital copies in the United States.
The single did well in European charts ending at number four of the European Hot 100. "When You're Gone" debuted at number thirty-two on UK Singles Chart, and peaked at number three. It ended the year as the 54th most purchased song in the UK. In Ireland, it reached number four. In the Continental Europe, "When You're Gone" peaked inside top twenty in countries such as Austria, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and Sweden. However, the song was a minor hit in Belgium (Flanders and Wallonia), where it failed to reach top twenty.
The song was used in the second season finale of the MTV show The Hills, playing during the climatic "moving out" scene between former best friends Lauren and Heidi. It was also used in the series 7 finale of 2 pints of lager and a packet of crisps. Lavigne performed the song during European and Asian festivals that took part of her 2007 Promotional Tour as well as TV shows and award shows worldwide.
Charts and certifications
|2007||Planeta Awards||Best Ballad||Won|
|Best Pop Vocal Performance||Won|
|2008||MuchMusic Video Awards||People's Choice: Favourite Canadian Artist||Won|
|Imperio Music Awards||Video of the Year||Won|
|Socan Awards||Best Pop Song||Won|
|2009||BMI Awards||Best Pop Song||Won|
|2012||VEVOCertified Awards||100.000.000 Views||Won|
- "When You're Gone review". 28 February 2007. Retrieved 2007-06-18.
- Review: Avril Lavigne - The Best Damn Thing | Sputnikmusic
- Graff, Gary (3 May 2007). "Avril's Agenda: New Video, Shows, Film Work". Billboard. Retrieved 2007-06-10.
- Low, Shereen (1 April 2007). "Older and wiser". The Belfast Telegraph. Archived from the original on 27 September 2007. Retrieved 2007-06-10.
- Vineyard, Jennifer (28 February 2007). "Don't Know How To Spell 'Avril Lavigne'? Prepare To Be Scolded". MTV News. Retrieved 2007-06-10.
- Cohen, Jonathan (29 January 2007). "Avril Sets Date For Clap-Happy New Album". Billboard. Archived from the original on 22 June 2007. Retrieved 2007-06-10.
- Sterdan, Darryl (14 April 2007). "Jam! review". Retrieved 11 August 2010.
- Cheung, Nadine. "Top 10 Avril Lavigne Songs". AOL Radio. Archived from the original on 15 January 2011. Retrieved 15 January 2011.
- CSUN Licensing – Facilities Use[dead link]
- MuchMusic.com | MMVA08
- Gary, Trust. "Ask Billboard: Why Do Some Songs Fade Out And Others End Cold?". Billboard. Retrieved July 5, 2013.
- eil.com – Japanese CD Single
- eil.com – UK & French CD Single
- eil.com – Taiwanese CD Single
- "Australian-charts.com – Avril Lavigne – When You're Gone". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- "Avril Lavigne – When You're Gone – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- "Ultratop.be – Avril Lavigne – When You're Gone" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- "Ultratop.be – Avril Lavigne – When You're Gone" (in French). Ultratip. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- "Avril Lavigne Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Avril Lavigne. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 200745 into search. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- "Avril Lavigne – When You're Gone Hitlisten.nu" (in Danish). Tracklisten. Retrieved 26 February 2012.
- "Avril Lavigne Album & Song Chart History" European Hot 100 for Avril Lavigne. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- "Lescharts.com – Avril Lavigne – When You're Gone" (in French). Les classement single. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- "Chart Track". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- "Italiancharts.com – Avril Lavigne – When You're Gone". Top Digital Download. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- "Avril Lavigne Ranking CD Single・ORICON STYLE" (in Japanese). Oricon. Retrieved November 4, 2013.
- "Top 40 Tipparade week 33 van 2007". top40.nl. Retrieved 1 April 2013.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Avril Lavigne – When You're Gone" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- "Charts.org.nz – Avril Lavigne – When You're Gone". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- "Romanian Top 100 Issue nr: 1/2008 (14 Ianuarie - 20 Ianuarie 2008)". top40.nl. Retrieved 1 April 2013.
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 200736 into search. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Avril Lavigne – When You're Gone". Singles Top 60. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- "Avril Lavigne – When You're Gone – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- "July 2007/ Archive Chart" UK Singles Chart. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- "Avril Lavigne Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Avril Lavigne. Retrieved 9 February 2011.
- "Avril Lavigne Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for Avril Lavigne. Retrieved 9 February 2011.
- "Avril Lavigne Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Pop Songs for Avril Lavigne. Retrieved 9 February 2011.
- "Avril Lavigne Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Contemporary for Avril Lavigne. Retrieved 9 February 2011.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2008 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "Brazilian single certifications – Avril Lavigne – When You're Gone" (in Portuguese). Associação Brasileira dos Produtores de Discos.
- "Canadian single certifications – Avril Lavigne – When Your Gone". Music Canada.
- "American single certifications – Avril Lavigne – When You're Gone". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- "British single certifications – Avril Lavigne – When You're Gone". British Phonographic Industry. Enter When You're Gone in the field Search. Select Title in the field Search by. Select single in the field By Format. Click Go
- "ARIA Charts – End Of Year Charts – Top 100 Singles 2007". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 2011-01-14.
- "Austrian Annual Charts 2007". AustrianCharts.at. Retrieved 2011-01-14.
- "Les Singles les plus Vendus en 2007=". SNEP. Retrieved 1 September 2013.
- [dead link]
- "Lebanese NRJ TOP 100 of 2007". NRJ. Retrieved 1 September 2013.
- "Swiss Year-End Charts 2007". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved 2011-01-14.
- "2007 UK Official Singles Chart" (PDF). Charts Plus. Retrieved 2011-01-14.
- "Billboard Adult Pop Songs Year Ends Charts". Billboard. Retrieved 1 September 2013.
- "When You're Gone" music video
- Avril Lavigne's Official Site
- Full lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics