When a Man Loves a Woman (song)
|"When a Man Loves a Woman"|
|Single by Percy Sledge|
|from the album When a Man Loves a Woman|
|Released||April 16, 1966|
|Recorded||February 17, 1966 in Sheffield, Alabama|
|Genre||R&B, doo-wop, soul|
|Writer(s)||Calvin Lewis, Andrew Wright|
|Producer||Marlin Greene, Quin Ivy|
|Percy Sledge singles chronology|
"When a Man Loves a Woman" is a song recorded by Percy Sledge in 1966 at Norala Sound Studio in Sheffield, Alabama. It made number one on both the Billboard Hot 100 and R&B singles charts. It was listed 54th in the List of Rolling Stone magazine's 500 greatest songs of all time. The sidemen for this recording included Spooner Oldham, organ; Marlin Greene, guitar; Albert "Junior" Lowe, bass and Roger Hawkins, drums. The song is credited to Calvin Lewis and Andrew Wright, who played bass and keyboards with Sledge. However, the song was in fact written by Percy Sledge himself, but he gave it to Lewis and Wright.
Before the recording session, the song had no title or lyrics. The session proceeded with the expectation that Sledge would produce them for the vocal takes. When it came time to record the vocals, Sledge improvised the lyrics with minimal pre-planning, using the melody as a guide for rhythm and phrasing. The performance was so convincing that others working on the session assumed Sledge had the lyrics written down.
It was later covered by Michael Bolton in 1991, whose version also reached number one on the U.S. pop and adult contemporary singles charts (Bolton also received a Grammy Award for this song). Barbara Mandrell recorded a Country version of the song that same year. The song has also been recorded by Marvin Gaye, Jerry Butler, Art Garfunkel, Luba, Otis Redding and Karen Dalton.
Sledge's version was also a top ten hit in the UK peaking at number four on its initial release and peaking at number two in 1987 after it was featured in a Levi's Jeans commercial. The song makes use of a commonly used descending bass line chord progression as in Pachelbel's canon, or Bach's Air on the G string.
|End of year chart (1992)||Position|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||54|
- There are renditions by The Spencer Davis Group (1966), Johnny Rivers (1967), Bette Midler (US #35, 1980, from her movie The Rose), Tim Curry, and Esther Phillips (US #73, 1966, as "When A Woman Loves A Man").
- Australian rock singer Jimmy Barnes released a live version as a single from his 1988 album Barnestorming that was a #3 hit in Australia.
- Three separate country music covers have made the Hot Country Songs charts: John Wesley Ryles (#72 in 1976), Jack Grayson and Blackjack (#18 in 1981) and Narvel Felts (#60 in 1987).
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 533.
- "Percy Sledge". www.rockhall.com. Retrieved 2010-02-03.
- "Billboard Top 100 - 1992". Retrieved 2010-07-30.
- Whitburn, Joel (2008). Hot Country Songs 1944 to 2008. Record Research, Inc. p. 367. ISBN 0-89820-177-2.
- Whitburn, p. 168
- Whitburn, p. 143
Michael Bolton 2005
- Percy Sledge article on The Standard Report
- "When a Man Loves a Woman" in Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs
- Full lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics
"Monday, Monday" by The Mamas & the Papas
|Billboard Hot 100 number one single (Percy Sledge version)
May 28, 1966
"Paint It, Black" by The Rolling Stones
"Get Ready" by The Temptations
|Billboard Hot R&B Singles number-one single
May 7, 1966 – May 28, 1966 (four weeks)
"It's a Man's Man's Man's World" by James Brown and the Famous Flames
"Too Many Walls" by Cathy Dennis
|Billboard Adult Contemporary number-one single (Michael Bolton version)
November 2, - November 23, 1991
"That's What Love Is For" by Amy Grant
"Cream" by Prince and The New Power Generation
|Billboard Hot 100 number one single (Michael Bolton version)
November 23, 1991
"Set Adrift on Memory Bliss" by P.M. Dawn
|This 1990s R&B/soul music song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|