When a Man Loves a Woman (song)
|"When a Man Loves a Woman"|
|Single by Percy Sledge|
|from the album When a Man Loves a Woman|
|B-side||Love Me Like You Mean It|
|Released||April 16, 1966|
|Format||7" vinyl "45"|
|Recorded||February 17, 1966 in Sheffield, Alabama|
|Genre||Doo Wop, R&B, soul, blues|
|Writer(s)||Calvin Lewis, Andrew Wright|
|Producer(s)||Marlin Greene, Quin Ivy|
|Percy Sledge singles chronology|
"When a Man Loves a Woman" is a song written by Calvin Lewis and Andrew Wright which was recorded by Percy Sledge in 1966 at Norala Sound Studio in Sheffield, Alabama. It made number one on both the Billboard Hot 100 and R&B singles charts. It was listed 54th in the List of Rolling Stone magazine's 500 greatest songs of all time. The sidemen for this recording included Spooner Oldham, organ; Marlin Greene, guitar; Albert "Junior" Lowe, bass and Roger Hawkins, drums. The music is built around a commonly used descending bass line chord progression as in Pachelbel's canon, or Bach's Air on the G string.
It was later covered by Michael Bolton in 1991, whose version also reached number one on the U.S. pop and adult contemporary singles charts (Bolton received a Grammy Award for this song). The Michael Bolton version has the distinction of being the last number one song to chart on the old Billboard Hot 100 charting system which relied on sales and airplay reports before switching over to Soundscan.
|End of year chart (1992)||Position|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||54|
- There are renditions by The Spencer Davis Group (1966), Johnny Rivers (1967), Bette Midler (US #35, 1980, from her movie The Rose), Tim Curry, and Esther Phillips (US #73, 1966, as "When A Woman Loves A Man").
- Australian rock singer Jimmy Barnes released a live version as a single from his 1988 album Barnestorming that was a #3 hit in Australia.
- Three separate country music covers have made the Hot Country Songs charts: John Wesley Ryles (#72 in 1976), Jack Grayson and Blackjack (#18 in 1981) and Narvel Felts (#60 in 1987).
Michael Bolton 2005
- Percy Sledge article on The Standard Report
- "When a Man Loves a Woman" in Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs
- Full lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics
"Monday, Monday" by The Mamas & the Papas
|Billboard Hot 100 number one single (Percy Sledge version)
May 28, 1966
"Paint It, Black" by The Rolling Stones
"Get Ready" by The Temptations
|Billboard Hot R&B Singles number-one single
May 7, 1966 – May 28, 1966 (four weeks)
"It's a Man's Man's Man's World" by James Brown and the Famous Flames
"Too Many Walls" by Cathy Dennis
|Billboard Adult Contemporary number-one single (Michael Bolton version)
November 2, - November 23, 1991
"That's What Love Is For" by Amy Grant
"Cream" by Prince and The New Power Generation
|Billboard Hot 100 number one single (Michael Bolton version)
November 23, 1991
"Set Adrift on Memory Bliss" by P.M. Dawn