When the Wind Blows (1930 film)
|When the Wind Blows|
|Directed by||James W. Horne|
|Produced by||Robert F. McGowan
|Written by||Robert A. McGowan|
Mary Ann Jackson
Pete the Pup
|Music by||Ray Henderson|
|Edited by||Richard C. Currier|
It is a windy spring night. A man tells Kennedy the cop that it is a fine night for a murder or robbery. Farina is frightened, but his mother still has to do laundry, so he is left in a ramshackle house with windows so weak that the wind blows through a few doors down, Jackie is spanked by his father for refusing to do his homework; his little brother Wheezer is laughing at him. After being spanked, Jackie throws his school book out the window.
Later, after he goes to bed, he overhears his parents saying what a great kid he is and how they want him to grow up and be successful. Jackie, touched by this sentiment, climbs out the window to retrieve his book. He tries to get back in but cannot open the window. As he is trying to get back in, he makes all sorts of noises, causing more commotion in the neighborhood. Jackie tries to break a window by throwing something, but the wind blows the object over to a nearby house and breaks a window there, waking up Chubby and his parents. When Jackie manages to get in to Wheezer's room through another window, Wheezer's dog, Pete, pushes Jackie back out again. Mary Ann next door also wakes up. Jackie manages to get into Mary Ann's room, but she throws him out as well. As he falls out of Mary Ann's window, he lands on a real burglar, knocking him out. Jackie is then considered a hero.
- This is the first Our Gang film to feature music score. The music is an orchestral scoring of songs popular at the time, not the jazz-based scorings typical of Our Gang films. It also marked Edgar Kennedy's last Our Gang appearance.
- All the scenes with Farina were cut in 1970 from the Little Rascals television print due to perceived racism but were reinstated on AMC's airings in 2001 to 2003.
- Jackie Cooper - Jack
- Bobby Hutchins - Wheezer
- Allen Hoskins - Farina
- Norman Chaney - Chubby
- Mary Ann Jackson - Mary Ann
- Betty Jane Beard - Hector
- Pete the Pup - Petie
- Edgar Kennedy - Kennedy the Cop
- Charles McAvoy - Henry, Jackie's Dad
- Mary Gordon - Chubby's Mother
- Harry Bernard - burglar
- Chet Brandenburg - Flustered Man
- Jackie's Mother - uncredited/unknown
- Emma Reed - Farina's Mother
- Julian Rivero - Henry, Jackie's Dad (Spanish language version)
- Canby, Vincent. "New York Times: When the Wind Blows". NY Times. Retrieved 2008-09-19.