Where I Come From (Montgomery Gentry song)
|"Where I Come From"|
|Single by Montgomery Gentry|
|from the album Rebels on the Run|
|Released||July 25, 2011|
|Label||Average Joes Entertainment|
|Montgomery Gentry singles chronology|
"Where I Come From" is a song recorded by American country music duo Montgomery Gentry. It is the first single from their seventh studio album, Rebels on the Run. The song was written by Rodney Clawson and Dallas Davidson.
The song is a mid-tempo rock-influenced song in which the narrators express pride with their Southern heritage. Co-writer Dallas Davidson said that he did not like many of Montgomery Gentry's previous singles, and that "I feel like this song fits them, and I say that as a fan. I think that they can actually stand onstage and sing this song every night, and people are going to believe them because it’s where they come from, too."
Billy Dukes of Taste of Country gave the song three stars out of five, saying that it "is better than anything Montgomery Gentry have released in two years, but they're getting by on memories." Bobby Peacock of Roughstock gave the song four stars out of five, calling the production "a little more muscular and gritty than usual" and the lyrics "proud without being boastful." Ben Foster of Country Universe gave the song a C, writing that "by relying so heavily on overused formulas, it’s like they're running around in circles in terms of creativity."
The music video was directed by Potsy Ponciroli and premiered in September 2011.
"Where I Come From" debuted at number 59 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs chart for the week of July 30, 2011. In March 2012, it became Montgomery Gentry's first Top Ten hit since 2009's "One in Every Crowd," and ultimately peaked at number 8 in April 2012.
|US Billboard Hot 100||71|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||8|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||46|
- Conaway, Alanna (July 12, 2011). "Montgomery Gentry, ‘Where I Come From’ – Lyrics Uncovered". Taste of Country. Retrieved January 16, 2012.
- "'Where I Come From' sheet music". MusicNotes.com. Retrieved 5 July 2012.
- Dukes, Billy (July 7, 2011). "Montgomery Gentry, ‘Where I Come From’ – Song Review". Taste of Country. Retrieved January 16, 2012.
- Peacock, Bobby (July 29, 2011). "Montgomery Gentry - "Where I Come From" Single Review". Roughstock. Retrieved January 16, 2012.
- Foster, Ben (July 14, 2011). "Single Review: Montgomery Gentry, “Where I Come From”". Country Universe. Retrieved January 16, 2012.
- Dukes, Billy (September 16, 2011). "Montgomery Gentry’s New ‘Where I Come From’ Video Features Daring Military Rescue Operation". Taste of Country. Retrieved January 16, 2012.
- Morris, Edward (July 23, 2011). "Blake Shelton Claims All-Around Top Album Title With Red River Blue". Country Music Television. Retrieved January 16, 2012.
- "Montgomery Gentry Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Montgomery Gentry.
- "Montgomery Gentry Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Montgomery Gentry.
- "Best of 2012: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2012. Retrieved December 14, 2012.