Where the Bears Are
|Where the Bears Are|
|Created by||Rick Copp|
|Opening theme||"Where the Bears Are" by David E. Zukofski|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||4|
|No. of episodes||48|
|Running time||7–10 minutes|
|Production company(s)||3 Bears Entertainment|
|Original run||August 1, 2012 – present|
Described by the creators as a cross between The Golden Girls and Murder, She Wrote, the series focuses on Nelson (Zook), Wood (Dietl) and Reggie (Copp), three gay bear friends sharing a house in Los Angeles' Silver Lake neighborhood who, in each season, are drawn into a different murder investigation which plays out as a season-long story arc.
- Rick Copp as Reggie Hatch
- Joe Dietl as Wood Burns
- Ben Zook as Nelson Dorkoff
- Ian Parks as Todd "Hot Toddy" Stevens
- Chad Sanders as Det. Chad Winters
- George Unda as Det. Marcus Martinez
- Pete Cincinnato as Hairy Potter
- George Sebastian as George Ridgemont
- Scott Beauchemin as Cyril
- Loretta Fox as Susie Collins
- Howie Skora as Ivan
- Mark Rowe as Jeremy Richards
- Ray Singh as Mo Kapur
- Shannon Ward as Turbo
- Michael Gans as Elliot Butler
- Julio Tello as Jim aka J.Cub
- Tim Hooper as the Chief of Police
- Season one
- Season two
- Margaret Cho as Mistress Lena
- Chris LaVoie as Danny Pendleton
- Becky Thyre as Mary Ashley Pendleton
- DJ Decoding Jesus as Himself
In the first season, the bears are caught up in a murder investigation when they find a man dead in their bathtub the morning after Nelson's birthday party. The supporting cast also includes Ian Parks, Mario Diaz, Julio Tello, Jesse Meli, Scott Beauchemin, James Parr, Chad Sanders, George Sebastian, Tuc Watkins, Jackie Beat, Brooke Dillman and Bruce Daniels.
This season was presented as a series of 25 episodes, and a special Christmas episode was also produced. Subsequently a DVD was released of the series re-edited into a single, continuous film. The DVD also featured the Christmas special as part of its two-disc set, as well as bloopers and outtakes, deleted scenes, a feature length commentary and behind the scenes interviews with the cast and creators.
The second season premiered on June 10, 2013, with a plot in which the bears are again caught up in a murder investigation when Elliot Butler (Michael Gans), Reggie's former college roommate and a candidate for city council, turns up dead at his campaign launch party. New cast members in the second season include Howie Skora, Chris Lavoie, Mark Rowe, George Unda, Ray Singh, Shannon Ward and Margaret Cho.
The third season, again supported by a crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter, premiered on August 11, 2014. In the 22-episode third season, Reggie is producing a reality television pilot for a true crime series, and the bears consequently try to solve a string of murders involving models for Chunk Studios, a bear porn studio. New cast additions in the third season include Drew Droege and Sam Pancake.
- "Where the Bears Are". Instinct, July 26, 2012.
- "Golden bears". Xtra!, May 15, 2013.
- "Gay web dramas flourish as TV networks cling to the status quo". The Guardian, March 5, 2013.
- "TV Review: ‘Where The Bears Are’ Christmas Special". proud2bhere.wordpress.com. Retrieved 8 March 2013.
- "WTBA DVD - THE FEATURE EDITION". wherethebearsare.acmeprints.com. Retrieved 8 March 2013.
- "The 2012 Hot in Hollywood Awards: Results". The Backlot, December 9, 2012.
- 2012 Queerties: Web Series of the Year, Queerty.
- ""Where the Bears Are" Season 2 Announcement: Going into Pre-Production, But Still Need a Boost of Funds: Video". accidentalbear.com. Retrieved 8 March 2013.
- "'Where The Bears Are' Season 2 Premieres". On Top, June 10, 2013.
- "'Where The Bears Are' Season Three To Premiere". Huffington Post, July 13, 2014.
- "First Look: 'Where The Bears Are' Returns For Third Season". On Top, July 10, 2014.
- "Watch: Where The Bears Are season 3 trailer". Gay News Network, July 10, 2014.