|Founder(s)||Moxie Marlinspike and Stuart Anderson|
|Headquarters||San Francisco, California, U.S.|
Whisper Systems produces security and privacy software applications for mobile communications devices running the Android operating system. The company was co-founded by security researcher Moxie Marlinspike and roboticist Stuart Anderson in 2010.
Whisper Systems has produced RedPhone and TextSecure, which allow encrypted VoIP phone and text (SMS) communications between users. They have also developed a firewall and tools for encrypting other forms of data. RedPhone and products played a role in protester communications during the Arab Spring uprisings.
Acquisition by Twitter
Immediately following the acquisition, Whisper Systems' RedPhone service was made unavailable, though it was later released as open source software in July 2012. Some have criticized this removal, arguing that it was "specifically targeted [to help] people under repressive regimes" and that it left people like the Egyptians in "a dangerous position" during the events of the 2011 Egyptian revolution. Whisper Systems' TextSecure software was released as open source software about a month after the acquisition by Twitter.
Following Whisper Systems' acquisition by Twitter, Twitter made some of Whisper Systems' software available under free and open-source licenses. The software has since been under open development by the community and has seen a number of new releases based on that open development. The project for this continued work was named Open WhisperSystems.
- Garling, Caleb (2011-12-20). "Twitter Open Sources Its Android Moxie | Wired Enterprise". Wired.com. Retrieved 2011-12-21.
- "Company Overview of Whisper Systems Inc.". Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved 2014-3-4.
- "Secure your Android mobile – Use Whisper Systems free security app Whispercore « Technology updates by Techburrp". Techburrp.com. Retrieved 2011-12-21.
- Robert Lemos (2011-02-15). "An App for Dissidents". MIT Technology Review. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- Tom Cheredar (November 28, 2011). "Twitter acquires Android security startup Whisper Systems". VentureBeat. Retrieved 2011-12-21.
- Andy Greenberg (2011-11-28). "Twitter Acquires Moxie Marlinspike's Encryption Startup Whisper Systems". Forbes. Retrieved 2011-12-21.
- RedPhone is now Open Source! http://www.whispersys.com/updates.html
- Garling, Caleb (2011-11-28). "Twitter Buys Some Middle East Moxie | Wired Enterprise". Wired.com. Retrieved 2011-12-21.
- Pete Pachal (2011-12-20). "Twitter Takes TextSecure, Texting App for Dissidents, Open Source". Mashable. Retrieved 2014-03-01.
- "A New Home". Open WhisperSystems. 2013-01-21. Retrieved 2014-03-01.