Whispers in the Dark (Skillet song)
||This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (January 2009)|
|"Whispers in the Dark"|
|Single by Skillet|
|from the album Comatose|
|Genre||Alternative metal, Christian metal, industrial metal|
|Length||3:13 (Edit version)
3:23 (Album version)
John L Cooper 
|Skillet singles chronology|
"Whispers in the Dark", is a song by the Christian rock band Skillet, and it is the second single off their seventh album Comatose. The song has achieved a large amount of popularity in both the mainstream and Christian radio. From the album's release to the Winterjam 2008 tour, the band opened their set with this song. For the Comatose Tour, this song was placed second in the set list. It has stayed there through the 2008 festival season before and in the 2009 Comatose tour. However the band started reopening their setlist with the song again for the "Awake and Alive Tour." It's the third single by Skillet to be released to physical media.
- "Whispers in the Dark" (Edit) - 3:13
Music and lyrics
The song is based on a driving rock sound with heavy guitars (tuned in Dropped B tuning). It is written from the perspective of God, to humans, affirming that "you'll never be alone". This can be taken as a response to a previous track on the album, Falling Inside the Black. Cooper said that the song is about feeling alone and looking around but nobody seems to be there- but God is there.
A music video was shot for this video at the same time as the video for "Rebirthing", and the two were released around the CD release at the same time. The "Whispers in the Dark" video consists of the band playing in a dark room filled with rain and rose petals (whereas the "Rebirthing" video takes place in a very bright room with windows looking out to the sky). The video includes a closeup shot of Ben Kasica's guitar solo, one of many that have been complimented at Skillet shows. It also includes lead singer and bassist John Cooper's popular trick of swinging his bass around himself and catching it again. Both videos have received play on Gospel Music Channel.
- John Cooper - lead vocals, bass
- Korey Cooper - rhythm guitar, keyboards, backing vocals
- Lori Peters - drums
- Ben Kasica - lead guitar
- "BMI entry for songwriters". Repertoire.bmi.com. Retrieved July 24, 2012.
- "Top Christian Rock Songs". R&R magazine. Archived from the original on February 23, 2011. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- John DiBiase (September 25, 2006). "Skillet, "Comatose" Review". Jesus Freak Hideout. Retrieved January 22, 2009.
- "Skillet - Comatose - Whispers In The Dark lyrics". Jesus Freak Hideout. Retrieved January 22, 2009.