The white-cheeked turaco (Tauraco leucotis) is a species of bird in the Musophagidae family. It is found in Eritrea, Ethiopia, and South Sudan. A mid-sized species, it measures about 43 cm (17 in) in length, including a tail of 19 cm (7.5 in), and weighs about 200–315 g (7.1–11.1 oz). This species is the most commonly raised turaco in captive conditions.
Distribution and habitat
There are two subspecies, the nominate subspecies T. l. leucotis found in the Podocarpus forests of Eritrea, Ethiopia and southeastern South Sudan and T. l. donaldsoni found in south-central Ethiopia south of the Rift Valley and in the extreme west of Somalia. The latter is quite distinct in plumage colour - the eastern population is separated from the larger population by the escarpment.
The white-crested turaco has been shown to hybridise with the sympatric Prince Ruspoli's turaco (Tauraco ruspolii) that contributed more to concerns about Ruspoli's turaco that is considered endangered.
In captivity a 'cinnamon' colour sport (a recessive colour mutation) first occurred spontaneously in birds bred by Mr D Jones in Gloucestershire, England and is now in present in captive birds in other countries.
A single white-cheeked turaco has been living wild in east London (Leytonstone and South Woodford). The sighting was recorded and confirmed in October 2009. It has survived the climate and potential predators for at least four years and appears to be living in harmony with native species. It's believed to be an escaped or released pet. Sightings in gardens have continued to delight Londoners into late May 2014. In 2014 another bird (or the same one who fancied a change of scenery perhaps?) has been sighted in Langton Green, Kent and has caused much interest to the residents, being featured in the village magazine.
- BirdLife International (2012). "Tauraco leucotis". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2013.2. International Union for Conservation of Nature. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- CRC Handbook of Avian Body Masses by John B. Dunning Jr. (Editor). CRC Press (1992), ISBN 978-0-8493-4258-5.
-  (2011).
- "White-cheeked Turaco (Tauraco leucotis) (Rüppell, 1835)". Avibase. Retrieved 2013-12-17.
- "Langton Life November 2014
- International Turaco Society ITS Magazine 1993-2012