|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2009)|
||This article describes a work or element of fiction in a primarily in-universe style. (October 2012)|
An Ajah is a sub-organization within the Aes Sedai of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series. The smallest of the Ajahs with roughly one hundred Aes Sedai, the White Ajah concerns itself with questions of philosophy, truth and logic.
They are headed by a woman known as the First Reasoner, who, in the White Tower, is Ferane Neheran.
Whites consider themselves beyond the social causes that drive most of the other Ajahs and believe that they have no place for the material knowledge that members of the Brown Ajah, and, to a lesser extent, Yellow Ajah, seek. Whites are often described as showing incredibly little emotion (coincidentally, and somewhat ironically, white is the colour of mourning in the Wheel of Time).
The White Ajah was the first Ajah to make the connection between the gentling crusade of the Red Ajah and the dwindling numbers of channelers, and suggested that gentled men should breed with Aes Sedai in the hope of producing more channelers. However, one sister suggested that, since the Whites had advocated the idea, they should therefore be the ones to bear these children. The Whites declined.
Relations with other Ajahs
In the past members of the White Ajah have been friendly with members of the Blue Ajah. In general, they opposed Reds; however, when Elaida a'Roihan was raised as Amyrlin Seat, Alviarin Freidhen, a White, was made her Keeper of the Chronicles, despite the unofficial tradition that the Keeper and the Amyrlin be raised from the same Ajah.
- Carlinya is one of the Salidar Six and also accompanied Siuan to Fal Dara to meet Moiraine. She is fairly powerful and ambitious. Min had a viewing of her with a raven tattoo, which suggests she will be involved with the Seanchan in the future
- Daigian Moseneillin is a plump and pale Cairhienin of a lesser House. She is one of the weakest Aes Sedai in the Tower. She is allied with Cadsuane Melaidhrin. She bonded Eben Hopwil (an Asha'man) as a Warder but he was killed in a fight with Aran'gar. She was killed in The Gathering Storm during Semirhage's escape.
- Falion Bhoda: Former White Sister, revealed to be a member of the Black Ajah.
- Ferane Neheran is the First Reasoner of the White Ajah. She is allied with the Tower Aes Sedai supporting Elaida and had once been a Sitter.
- Norine Dovarna
- Sarene Nemdahl initially supported Elaida but has sworn an oath to the Dragon Reborn. She hails from Tarabon, and is known to have a temper. She is more than beautiful and her warder's name is Vitalien.
- Seaine Herimon is a sitter who is allied with Elaida. She was given the job of finding traitors within the White Tower. However, she and her novicehood friend Pevara Tazanovni discovered Darkfriends and worse.
- Zerah Dacan was one of the ten Salidar Aes Sedai sent by Sheriam and company to the Tower to spread word that the Red Ajah had orchestrated Logain's rise to False Dragon status. However, she was caught by Seaine and Pevara and has since been assisting them in their hunt for the Black Ajah.
- Crossroads of Twilight, Prologue
- Official website
- Robert Jordan's blog
- A Wheel of Time Wiki
- Wheel of Time FAQ
- Encyclopaedia WoT
- Wheel of Time Concordance v3.1 (PHP version) (Text version)
- Chronology of The Wheel of Time
- Wheel of Time websites Past and Present