White City, Oregon
|White City, Oregon|
|Census-designated place (CDP)|
Location of White City, Oregon
|• Total||1.8 sq mi (4.8 km2)|
|• Land||1.8 sq mi (4.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,312 ft (400 m)|
|• Estimate (2005)||9,946|
|• Density||2,956.0/sq mi (1,141.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature ID||1128971|
White City is an unincorporated community in Jackson County, Oregon, United States. For statistical purposes, the United States Census Bureau has defined White City as a census-designated place (CDP). The census definition of the area may not precisely correspond to local understanding of the area with the same name. The population was 5,466 at the 2000 census, and the ESRI estimates 2005 population in the 97503 zip code at 9,946. White City is about nine miles north of the center of Medford and four miles south of Eagle Point.
|This section requires expansion. (March 2010)|
2000 Census data
As of the 2000 U.S. census, there were 5,466 people, 1,761 households, and 1,384 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 2,956.0 people per square mile (1,140.8/km²). There were 1,841 housing units at an average density of 995.6 per square mile (384.2/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 85.47% White, 0.18% African American, 1.48% Native American, 0.53% Asian, 0.09% Pacific Islander, 8.16% from other races, and 4.08% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 16.50% of the population.
There were 1,761 households out of which 47.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.8% were married couples living together, 16.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 21.4% were non-families. 16.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.09 and the average family size was 3.43.
In the CDP the population dispersal was 34.2% under the age of 18, 9.7% from 18 to 24, 30.4% from 25 to 44, 18.2% from 45 to 64, and 7.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 30 years. For every 100 females there were 98.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.1 males. The median income for a household in the CDP was $29,342, and the median income for a family was $30,743. Males had a median income of $27,175 versus $20,784 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $11,253. About 18.9% of families and 21.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 26.6% of those under age 18 and 13.1% of those age 65 or over.
Parks and recreation
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (February 2010)|
The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife's Denman Wildlife Area has segments north and south of White City. The TouVelle State Recreation Site is located along Table Rock Road where it crosses the Rogue River. Furthermore, The Nature Conservancy's Agate Desert Preserve is on the west side of White City.
White City is located at the junction of Oregon Route 62 and Oregon Route 140. White City is also served by RVTD Route 60 connecting to Medford, and by the Southwest POINT which is an intercity route connecting to a number of Southern Oregon cities.
This region experiences warm (but not hot) and dry summers, with no average monthly temperatures above 71.6 °F. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, White City has a warm-summer Mediterranean climate, abbreviated "Csb" on climate maps.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ESRI data
- Google Maps driving directions White City to Medford
- Google Maps White City to Eagle Point
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Number of Inhabitants: Oregon". 18th Census of the United States. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "Pennsylvania: Population and Housing Unit Counts". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions Datasets: Subcounty Population Estimates: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 25 November 2013.
- "White City, Oregon". Citydata.com. Accessed May 2010.
- "The Point - Public Oregon Intercity Transport". Retrieved 2010-04-28.
- Climate Summary for White City, Oregon