White Columns is New York City’s oldest alternative non-profit space. White Columns is known as a showcase for up-and-coming artists, and is primarily devoted to emerging artists who are not affiliated with galleries. All work submitted is looked at by the director. Some of the artists receive studio visits and some of those artists are exhibited. White Columns maintained a slide registry of emerging artists, which is now an online curated artist registry.
History and locations
In 1979 it relocated to Spring Street, in SoHo, and was renamed White Columns. Directors of White Columns have included Josh Baer, Tom Solomon, Bill Arning, Paul Ha, Lauren Ross, and current director Matthew Higgs.
In 1991 it moved to Christopher Street in Greenwich Village. In 1998, White Columns moved to its present location on the border of Greenwich Village and the Meatpacking District, initiated by then-director Ha, who inaugurated the space with the exhibition "Inventory".
Since being founded, White Columns has supported and provided exposure to hundreds of artists including Alice Aycock, Willoughby Sharp, Kiki Smith, Sonic Youth, Andres Serrano, Lorna Simpson, John Currin, Cady Noland, Tyler Turkle, Sarah Sze, Lutz Bacher and others. To this day, White Columns continues its support for artists with an ongoing program of exhibitions and to hundreds of other artists through their online Artist Registry.
- Noise Festival Tape (1982) TSoWC White Columns
- Krenz, Marcel. Random Order. Flash Art. July-Sept. 2003: 67.
- White Columns - Exhibitions
- Stephanie Cash "People - Brief Article". Art in America. April 2000. FindArticles.com. 19 Jul. 2008. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1248/is_4_88/ai_61755671
- Stephanie Cash "Paul Ha, director since 1996 of the alternative space White Columns in New York - appointed, Yale University Art Gallery - Brief Article". Art in America. Sept 2001. FindArticles.com. 19 Jul. 2008. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1248/is_9_89/ai_78334751
- "White Columns". Art in America. Nov 2004. FindArticles.com. 19 Jul. 2008. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1248/is_10_92/ai_n7069957
- "Asphalt Flat/ Cloud Formation Project". White Columns. White Columns.
- "Willoughby Sharp: Inside Out". White Columns. White Columns. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "September '81". White Columns. White Columns.
- "Speed Trials". White Columns. White Columns. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "Art Magazine Review of "White Room"". White Columns. Arts Magazine. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "Update 85-86". White Columns. White Columns. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "Twentieth Anniversary Benefit Exhibition". White Columns. White Columns. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "Plastic History". White Columns. White Columns. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "The New Capital". White Columns. White Columns. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "Current Exhibition June 14 - July, 2013". White Columns. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "Curated Artist Registry". White Columns. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to White Columns.|
- Krenz, Marcel. “Random Order.” Flash Art. July-Sept. 2003: 67-69.
- White Columns History
- Brenson, Michael. "'Structures,' Exhibition at White Columns." The New York Times. 13 Dec. 1985