White Fungus (magazine)
|First issue||October, 2004|
|Based in||Taichung, Taiwan|
White Fungus is an art magazine and project based in Taichung City, Taiwan. Founded by brothers Ron and Mark Hanson in Wellington, New Zealand in 2004, as a quasi political manifesto, copies of the first issue were produced on a photocopier, wrapped in Christmas paper and hurled anonymously through the entrances of businesses throughout the city. Now a magazine featuring interviews, writing on art, new music, history and politics, White Fungus takes a dialogical approach to the work it covers. The name of the publication comes from a can of “white fungus” the Hansons found in their local supermarket in the industrial zone of Taichung City. Each cover of White Fungus is derived from a scan of the can.
White Fungus has held interdisciplinary art events at galleries and venues including including P.P.O.W. (New York), Kadist Art Foundation (San Francisco), N.K.(Berlin), The Lab (San Francisco), Taipei Contemporary Art Center, the Cube (Taipei), Treasure Hill (Taipei), VT Artsalon (Taipei), ARTSPACE (Auckland), Waikato Museum (Hamilton), Adam Art Gallery (Wellington), Enjoy Public Gallery(Wellington), and The Physics Room(Christchurch). The publication is held in library collections including The Museum of Modern Art (New York), The New York Public Library (Art & Architecture Collection), The Southbank Centre (London), Museu d’Art Contemporani de Barcelona, Taipei Fine Art Museum, School of the Art Institute of Chicago, National Library of Australia and Te Papa Tongarewa (National Museum of New Zealand). The magazine has included articles by notable New Zealand art writers and artists, including Tao Wells.
White Fungus was part of the exhibition Millennium Magazines at the Museum of Modern Art in New York in 2012. The exhibition was a survey of magazines made by contemporary artists since 2000. In November, 2012, White Fungus founders Ron Hanson and Mark Hanson gave a talk about the history of White Fungus at Times Museum in Guangzhou, China. In 2013 White Fungus was the magazine in residence at Kadist Art Foundation in San Francisco. While in the Bay Area, White Fungus released its 13th issue with events at Kadist and the Lab. The issue includes an article entitled 'The First Woman on Mars', written by American writer and independent scholar Ron Drummond. In late 2013 White Fungus signed a worldwide distribution deal with WhiteCirc in London.
- A Growing Manifesto - Interview on Baron Magazine
- Interview on Monocle Radio's The Stack
- Interview on ICRT
- Some Cool Zines You Should Know About - Complex Magazine
- "Eating White Fungus", HYPERALLERGIC
- "Spores of Knowledge", The Wire
- Interview on We Taipei Ren
- Interview in The Critic
- Interview on Arts on Sunday - Radio New Zealand
- Interview Sly on the Wall
- Review on Partial Durations
- Review on EyeContact
- Crazy Dream To Pursue: White Fungus For The Masses, profile of the Taiwan-based founders.]
- Profile of White Fungus #12 on Self Publish, Be Happy.
- White Fungus interview on The End of Being
- White Fungus to go Global - Art Radar Asia
- Podcasts of Ron Hanson appearances on Upbeat with Eva Radich - Radio New Zealand
- A Quick Word with Ron Hanson - Idealog
- Kiwi Mag on an International Roll - Idealog
- NZ mag White Fungus Picked to Feature at MoMA - Idealog
- Fungus Mag wins place at MoMA - Dominion Post
- - Interview with Bryan Crump - Radio New Zealand
- Springing-Up-White-Fungus-Comes-to-Nelson - White Fungus comes to Nelson - Nelson Mail
- Review on Ol' Chanty
- An arts mag from New Zealand - with universal appeal - Tokafi
- Review on Harsmedia
- Interview with editor Ron Hanson on 'Kim Hill'
- White Fungus on World TV
- Art Mag Set For New York Exhibit
- Review on The Lumiere Reader
- Review on Print Fetish
- White Fungus Magazine
- White Fungus at Kadist Art Foundation
- Millennium Magazines
- Visceral sound: An Adventure into the Heart of Taipei's Noise Scene
- Review of Depopulate 03 Taiwan GigGuide
- Depopulate 02 at The Cube
- Depopulate 04 at N.K. in Berlin
- Art on the Beautiful Island - Rhizome
- Ron Hanson interviews Yao Jui-chung - Afterall Online
- Ron Hanson interviews Yan Jun - Afterall Online
- Ron Hanson interview with Wallace Chapman about Taiwan's Sunflower Movement - Radio New Zealand
- Bonfire of the Ivories: Visualize Your Piano—Burning - Utne Reader
- White Fungus' The Consumers of the Future at Adam Art Gallery
- White Fungus Publishes the Subconscious Restaurant - Beattie's Book Blog
- Merzbow live at the Wall
- Betty Apple at the Lab
- Wang Fujui at VT Artsalon
|This article relating to a magazine connected with the visual arts is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
See tips for writing articles about magazines. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.