White Knight (film)
|Directed by||Aarti Shrivastava|
|Produced by||Hari Om Entertainment|
|Written by||Aarti Shrivastava|
|Music by||Daniel Arlington, Tony Basumatary, Utkkarsh Dhotekar|
White Knight is a documentary film directed by Aarti Shrivastava. Its subject is Chewang Norphel, a 78-year-old engineer in Leh who, over the last 15 years, has invented and implemented a technology that is helping provide a solution to an ecological disaster created by climate change.
The land of Ladakh is grappling with an alarming water scarcity situation. In this high altitude desert where the melting of glaciers has been the traditional source of fresh water, a warmer planet is playing havoc with lifestyles and the ecology. With glaciers melting faster and leaving the people quite literally high and dry, fresh water is more precious than oil, especially post the Ladakhi summer. His solution uses common sense and elementary observational science to create artificial glaciers.
This film was created as a tribute to this man, and it honors him as a hero who relentlessly and persistently carries on a lone struggle against an insipid bureaucracy, myopic governance and a planet seemingly striking back as it adjusts to global warming. His crusade is to see his idea implemented on a grand scale in a sparsely populated region – with the sole mission of keeping this patch of earth inhabitable for the great-grandchildren of Ladakh.
Awards and recognitions
- Opening Film Water Doc Film Festival Canada 
- Official nomination 9th Al-Jazeera Documentary International Film Festival Doha 2013 
- Official Selection Jaipur International Film Festival 2013 
- Official Nomination Reel Earth Environmental Film Festival 
- Official Selection South Asian Film Festival Canada 2012
- Official Selection Colorado Film Festival 2013 
- Special Mention Women Deliver Cinema Corner Conference 
“Saw the film White Knight and really liked it – the style and telling was gripping, the camerawork superb – and the subject is so key. Congratulations. I recommended it to the Houston Indian Film Festival. All the best.” - Uma Da Cunha, Publisher & Editor, Film India Worldwide.
“Thank you so much for allowing us to present your wonderful film, White Knight, in SAFF Canada. It is a stunning film Aarti, and our audiences loved it. Many of the people who saw your film said that it should be shown to students, as the man is such a role model, and such a positive force for change. And I think they are right. Everybody should see your film. I congratulate you Aarti; it is a lovely piece of work, and you should be very proud of the film.” - Hannah Fisher, Artistic Director & Co-founder, SAFF Canada.
- "Thursday, Day 1 | Ecologos". Ecologos.ca. 2013-08-13. Retrieved 2013-10-20.
- "Aljazeera International Documentary Film Festival". Festival.aljazeera.net. Retrieved 2013-10-20.
- "Welcome to Movie Land". Jiffindia.org. Retrieved 2013-10-20.
- [dead link]
- "White Knight". Saffcanada.org. 1999-02-22. Retrieved 2013-10-20.
- "Colorado Environmental Film Festival 2013 Program". Ceff.net. Retrieved 2013-10-20.
- "Updates » Women Deliver Announces Cinema Corner Finalists for Women Deliver 2013". Women Deliver. 2013-03-08. Retrieved 2013-10-20.