White Peony most popular legend comes from Journey to the East novel. It said one day the immortal Lu Dongbin take a walk on Luo Yang and heavily attracted by her beauty. Lu Dongbin then transforming himself into handsome scholar and sleep with her for many times. However, he never ejaculate since he doesn’t want to lose his Yang essence. Unfortunatelly Lu’s immortal colleague Iron-Crutch Li and He Xiangu teach Mudan how to make him ejaculate by tickling his groin. Finally, White Peony successfully made Lu Dongbin ejaculate and absorb his Yang essence. Later she cultivated herself and become immortal as well.
In other story White Peony was ordered by minister Su Dongpo (Su Shi), to tempt his friend monk Fo Yin. Actually Su Shi hate Budhist practitioner because he think unmarried monk as unfillial to their ancestor.
There also folktale from Song dynasty which describe her as haughty courtesan, who like to humiliate her wealthy client. Like asking them to lick her anus and sometimes even fart in their face. However her customers never complain, thanks to her astounding beauty.
Her reputation as seducer make White Peony aka Bai Mudan deified as goddess who tempt men or more specifically an ascetic 
In popular culture
- White Peony appeared in many classic novels such as Journey to the East (东游记), Ba Xian Dedao (八仙得道), Fei Jian Ji  and others.
- She also protagonist in famous opera title; Lu Dongbin san xi Bai Mudan (Lu Dongbin three trick on White Peony). However in some opera version White Peony is decipted as drugstore's daughter instead of prostitute.
- There also many movies based on that opera above 
- White Peony appeared in many television series such as Dong You Ji (portrayed by Phyllis Quek), Eight Avatar (portrayed by Sonija Kwok) and Ghost Catcher Legend of Beauties (portrayed by Liu Yihan)
- Wu Yuantai. Journey to the East (Dong You Ji)-Chinese text
- Chinese Mythology by Owen Giddens, and Sandra Giddens
- Anning Jing (2002.) The Water God's Temple of the Guangsheng Monastery: Cosmic Function of Art, Ritual and Theater Brill
- Harold Liu. The Dictionary of Chinese Deities
- Janet and Stewart Farrar.The Witches' Goddess. F+W Media International Ltd
- Unruly Gods: Divinity and Society in China. A Summary of Bai Mudan (White Peony) misadventure with Lu Dongbin story
- A Prostitute Who Became a Deity. Translated by Nathaniel Hu Another version of White Peony (Bai Mudan) and Lu Dongbin story, this version is longer and more erotic