White Pine, Michigan
|White Pine, Michigan|
|Census-designated place (CDP) & Unincorporated community|
An elegant fan of native copper from the White Pine mine. Size 12.3 x 6.8 x 0.1 cm.
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|• Total||5.002 sq mi (12.96 km2)|
|• Land||5.002 sq mi (12.96 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||899 ft (274 m)|
|• Density||95/sq mi (37/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1622143|
White Pine is located at  in Carp Lake Township between Bergland, Michigan and Silver City, Michigan, and east of the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park. The Copper Range Company operated a copper mine in White Pine.
It was a station on the Chicago, Minneapolis and St. Paul Railway. Thomas H. Wilcox, a mining engineer, found mass copper in the Mineral River and formed the White Pine Copper Company to mine it. The settlement was given a post office as "White Pine Mine" in June 1915.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: White Pine, Michigan
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- White Pine - Michigan's Upper Peninsula
- Romig, Walter (1986) . Michigan Place Names. Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-1838-X.
- 49971 5-Digit ZCTA, 499 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 Census.
- USPS ZIP Code Lookup
- Mine Site Visit: Copper Range Company White Pine Mine. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Solid Waste, observations from EPA site visit May 5 and 6, 1992
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to White Pine Mine.|