Whitefish (Amtrak station)
|Address||500 Depot Street
Whitefish, MT 59937
|Connections||Amtrak Thruway Motorcoach|
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Owned by||City of Whitefish|
|Passengers (2013)||52,012 22.184%|
Great Northern Railway Passenger and Freight Depot and Division Office
A trackside view of the depot.
|Architect||Thomas D'Arcy McMahon|
|Architectural style||Tudor Revival|
|Governing body||Stumptown Historical Society|
|NRHP Reference #||02000766|
|Added to NRHP||July 11, 2002|
Whitefish, Montana is a station stop on Amtrak's Empire Builder. In addition to the Empire Builder, Amtrak's Thruway Motorcoach also links the station to Kalispell and Missoula, Montana. A car rental agency operates a window within the station. The station and parking lot are owned by the Stumptown Historical Society. BNSF Railway leases office space on the second floor of the station and owns the platform and track.
The Tudor Revival station building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002 and is known therein as the Great Northern Railway Passenger and Freight Depot and Division Office or as the Whitefish Depot.
Of the 12 Montana stations served by Amtrak, Whitefish was the busiest in FY10, boarding or detraining an average of about 180 passengers daily. It is the busiest station stop between the Pacific Ocean and Midway Station in St. Paul, Minnesota on the '!Empire Builder route.
As per latest Amtrak schedule, the Empire Builder stops at the station for 20 minutes. Whitefish marks the western end of the BNSF's Hi Line Subdivision and the eastern end of the Kootenai River Subdivision.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, FY2014, State of Montana" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2013. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- "Amtrak - Great American Stations". Amtrak. Retrieved 2009-04-23.
- Grau, Kara; Bruns-Dubois, Melissa; Nickerson, Norma P. (December 2006). "The Economic Review of the Travel Industry in Montana" (PDF). Institute for Tourism and Recreation Research at the University of Montana. Retrieved 2007-02-02.
- "National Register of Historic Places, Montana - Flathead County". National Park Service, United States Department of the Interior. Retrieved 2002-02-06.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, FY2010, State of Montana" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2010. Retrieved 2011-01-06.
- Media related to Whitefish (Amtrak station) at Wikimedia Commons
- Whitefish (WFH) Station, Great American Stations website
- Amtrak – Stations – Whitefish, MT
- Whitefish, Montana Amtrak Station (The SubwayNut)
- Stumptown Historical Society website
- Whitefish Amtrak Station (USA RailGuide -- TrainWeb)