Who Are You When I'm Not Looking
|"Who Are You When I'm Not Looking"|
|Single by Blake Shelton|
|from the album All About Tonight|
|Released||September 6, 2010|
|Writer(s)||Earl Bud Lee
John Wayne Wiggins
|Blake Shelton singles chronology|
"Who Are You When I'm Not Looking" is a song written by Earl Bud Lee and John Wayne Wiggins and recorded by American country music artist Joe Nichols for his 2007 album Real Things. Blake Shelton covered the song for his EP All About Tonight, from which it was released as a single in September 2010. His version debuted at number 51 on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart in September 2010.
The song is a ballad in which the narrator wants to know the characteristics his lover's hiding from him (e.g. "Do you paint your toes 'cause you bite your nails?").
The Blake Shelton music video premiered on October 1, 2010 during CMT's Big New Music Weekend. It was voted GAC's No. 1 video of 2010.
Matt Bjorke of Roughstock gave the song a four-out-of-five-star rating, calling it a "list song," but the lyrics "an emotion in which anyone who has been in love will certainly relate to." Jim Malec of American Twang gave the song a thumbs-up review, calling it an "intimate rumination on the mystery of a beautiful, graceful woman." Karlie Justus of The 9513 gave the song a thumbs-up. She thought that Blake Shelton's performance was "flatter" than Joe Nichols', but said that the lyrics were "grounded and honest." Gary Graff of Billboard also described the song positively, saying that it "mixes humor and pathos with a sweet melody and a wry attitude."
"Who Are You When I'm Not Looking" debuted at number fifty-one on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs for the week of September 18, 2010. It became Shelton's eighth number one single on the country chart dated March 5, 2011. It has sold 1,098,000 copies in the United States as of June 2013.
Certifications and sales
"Someone Else Calling You Baby"
by Luke Bryan
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
March 5, 2011
"Don't You Wanna Stay"
by Jason Aldean and Kelly Clarkson
- Justus, Karlie (October 27, 2010). "Blake Shelton – "Who Are You When I’m Not Looking"". The 9513. Retrieved October 29, 2010.
- "Who Are You When I'm Not Looking" Debuts at #51
- Bjorke, Matt (September 7, 2010). "Blake Shelton – "Who Are You When I'm Not Looking"". Roughstock. Retrieved 2010-10-15.
- Malec, Jim (September 8, 2010). "Blake Shelton – "Who Are You When I'm Not Looking"". American Twang. Retrieved 2010-10-15.
- Graff, Gary (July 30, 2010). "All About Tonight review". Billboard. Retrieved October 29, 2010.
- Paul Grein (June 12, 2013). "Week Ending June 9, 2013. Songs: Pretty Fly For A White Guy". Chart Watch (Yahoo Music).
- "Blake Shelton Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Blake Shelton. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- "Blake Shelton Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Blake Shelton. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- "Blake Shelton Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Blake Shelton. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- "Best of 2011: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2011. Retrieved December 10, 2011.
- "American single certifications – Blake Shelton – Who Are You When I%27m Not Looking". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved March 17, 2013. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH