Who Do You Think You Are? (U.S. TV series)
|Who Do You Think You Are?|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of seasons||5|
|No. of episodes||36|
|Running time||42 minutes|
|Original channel||TLC (2013–present)
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|Original run||March 5, 2010– present|
Who Do You Think You Are (US)? is a American genealogy documentary series that premiered on NBC on March 5, 2010. The show is an adaptation of the British series of the same name, aired by the BBC. Each week a celebrity goes on a journey to trace his or her family tree. Lisa Kudrow is an executive producer for the series, which is a partnership between Shed Media, NBC Entertainment and Ancestry.com.
The series ran for twenty-seven episodes, broadcast over three seasons, before it was cancelled by NBC in 2012. The series has since been picked up by TLC. The fourth season premiered on July 23, 2013. A how-to companion book to the series, also called Who Do You Think You Are?, is available to help viewers research their own roots. TLC has since renewed the series for a six-episode fifth season that will premiere on July 23, 2014.
Season 1 (2010)
|Episode||Airdate||Featured celebrity||Locations visited|
|1||Mar 5||Sarah Jessica Parker||Cincinnati, Ohio; El Dorado County, California; Boston, Massachusetts; Danvers, Massachusetts|
|2||Mar 12||Emmitt Smith||Pensacola, Florida; Burnt Corn, Alabama; Claiborne, Alabama; Boydton, Virginia; Ouidah, Benin|
|3||Mar 19||Lisa Kudrow||Ilya, Belarus; Gdynia, Poland|
|4||Mar 26||Matthew Broderick||Jersey City, New Jersey; New York City, New York; Forest of Argonne, France; Hartford, Connecticut; Atlanta, Georgia; Marietta National Cemetery, Cobb County, Georgia|
|5||Apr 2||Brooke Shields||Newark, New Jersey; New York City, New York; Rome, Italy; Augerolles, France; Paris, France|
|6||Apr 23||Susan Sarandon||Virginia; New York City, New York; Florence; Coreglia Antelminelli; Rockland County, New York|
|7||Apr 30||Spike Lee||Atlanta, Georgia; Twiggs County, Georgia; Arlington, Texas|
Season 2 (2011)
NBC ordered a second season for the reality series on April 5, 2010. The second season of the reality series began on February 4, 2011, and consisted of eight episodes. The first episode featured Vanessa Williams. Following episodes featured Tim McGraw, Rosie O'Donnell, Kim Cattrall, Lionel Richie, Steve Buscemi, Gwyneth Paltrow and Ashley Judd. Rather than film another one, Cattrall's episode is an edited version of the original one that she made for the British series in 2009.
Season 3 (2012)
The show was renewed for a third season by NBC on February 22, 2011, to air during the 2011–2012 television season. The 12 celebrities included in season 3 are Marisa Tomei, Rob Lowe, Paula Deen, Rashida Jones, Jerome Bettis, Reba McEntire, Helen Hunt, Edie Falco, Rita Wilson, Jason Sudeikis, Martin Sheen and Blair Underwood. The show returned on February 3, 2012.
Season 4 (2013)
After being cancelled by NBC, TLC picked up the series and the new season began on July 23, 2013 at 9/8c. Celebrities taking part in season 4 are Christina Applegate, Cindy Crawford, Zooey Deschanel, Chelsea Handler, Kelly Clarkson, Trisha Yearwood, Jim Parsons and Chris O'Donnell.
|Episode||Airdate||Featured celebrity||Locations visited|
|1||Jul 23||Kelly Clarkson||Columbus, Ohio; Decatur, Georgia; Andersonville, Georgia; Marietta, Ohio; Coal Run, Ohio|
|2||Jul 30||Christina Applegate||Trenton, New Jersey|
|3||Aug 6||Chelsea Handler||Bochum, Germany; Herne, Germany; Berlin, Germany; Saint-Raphaël, France; Algona, Iowa|
|4||Aug 13||Zooey Deschanel||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Swarthmore, Pennsylvania; Lancaster, Pennsylvania; Christiana, Pennsylvania|
|5||Aug 20||Chris O'Donnell||St. Louis, Missouri; Washington, District of Columbia; Annapolis, Maryland; Baltimore, Maryland|
|6||Aug 27||Cindy Crawford||Boston, Massachusetts; Hartford, Connecticut; Taunton, England; London, England; Aachen, Germany|
|7||Sep 3||Trisha Yearwood||Nashville, Tennessee; Hampshire, England; Kew, England; Atlanta, Georgia|
|8||Sep 10||Jim Parsons||New Orleans, Louisiana; Paris, France; Versailles, France|
Season 5 (2014)
TLC renewed the show on September 10, 2013. The season will premiere on July 23, 2014 and feature Cynthia Nixon, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Rachel McAdams, Lauren Graham, Valerie Bertinelli and Kelsey Grammer.
|Episode||Airdate||Featured celebrity||Locations visited|
|1||Jul 23||Cynthia Nixon||Manhattan, New York City, New York; Washington, D.C; Jefferson City, Missouri; Leasburg, Missouri|
|2||Jul 30||Jesse Tyler Ferguson|
|3||Aug 6||Rachel McAdams|
|4||Aug 13||Kelsey Grammer|
|5||Aug 20||Valerie Bertinelli|
|6||Aug 27||Lauren Graham|
Season 1: 2010
|1||"Sarah Jessica Parker"||4.6||8||1.6/6||6.85||2||5|
Season 2: 2011
|Complete season||Release dates||DVD extras
and bonus features
|Region 1||Region 2||Region 4|
|March 15, 2011||February 1, 2011||August 12, 2010||None||2|
|May 1, 2012||February 20, 2012||TBA||TBA||TBA|
- In Australia, season 1 began airing on the Nine Network on April 28, 2010. Season 2 and reruns of season 1 will now air on sister channel, GEM. For a reason unexplained by Nine, the episodes featuring Spike Lee and Emmitt Smith were not aired in the initial Australian screenings.
- In the Republic of Ireland, the first season of the US version began airing on RTÉ One on Thursday, May 27, 2010, at 22:25. The second series premiered on RTÉ One on Monday, July 4, 2011, at 22:40.
- In the United Kingdom, the first season of the US version began airing on BBC One on Sunday, June 13, 2010, at 21:15, the show received the same voice-over as the UK original series. The second series, premiered on Wednesday, November 16, 2011, at 22:45. The first episode shown was that following Steve Buscemi. The fourth series premiered on BBC1 at midnight on Tuesday, January 14, 2014. The order of celebrity is changed in the opening credits to Applegate, Clarkson, O'Donnell, Deschanel, Crawford and Parsons. Handler and Yearwood are not featured as they have little profile in the UK.
- In Sweden, the first season of the US version began airing with Swedish subtitles on SVT on Tuesday, September 14, 2010, at 13:20.
- In Greece, the first season of the US version began airing with Greek subtitles on Fox Life on Thursday, October 14, 2010, at 21:55.
- In Finland, the first season of the US version began airing with Finnish subtitles on MTV3 on Thursday December 30, 2010, at 20:00, called Sukujuuria etsimässä, "Looking for family roots".
- In Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary and Former Yugoslav republics, the US version airs on Universal Channel, the British version airs on Viasat History.
- In The Netherlands, the US versions of season 1 & 2 aired on August 8, 2013.
- In Italy, the show began airing on Studio Universal on February 4, 2013. Reruns of season 2 and season 1 began airing on LaEFFE since May, 2013.
- In Germany, it began airing on RTL Living on November 25, 2011. The network also aired the British version of the series on January 6, 2012.
Awards and nominations
|2012||Emmy Awards||Outstanding Reality Program||Nominated|
- Seidman, Robert (May 13, 2012). "'Fear Factor,' 'Minute to Win It,' Who Do You Think You Are?' and 'The Sing Off' All Canceled by NBC". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- Stromblad, Cory (25 February 2013). "Kelly Clarkson Embraces Her Southern Roots on ‘Who Do You Think You Are?’". Taste of Country. Retrieved April 9, 2013.
- Smolenyak, Megan. "Celebrity Roots Series "Who Do You Think You Are?" Returns". Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- Smolenyak, Megan. "Who Do You Think You Are? Companion Book on Amazon". Retrieved July 25, 2013.
- Seidman, Robert (April 5, 2010). "NBC renews "Marriage Ref, "Minute To Win It," and "Who Do You Think You Are?"". TVbytheNumbers. Retrieved April 5, 2010.
- CW - Primetime Calender thru to March 4, 2011
- NBC.com - 'Who Do You Think You Are?': NBC Announces The Celebrities Tracing Their Family Trees On Season Two
- NBC. "NBC Picks Up 'The Biggest Loser,' 'Who Do You Think You Are?' and 'The Sing-Off' For 2011-12".
- Goldberg, Lesley. "Martin Sheen, Reba McEntire, Rob Lowe Among 'Who Do You Think You Are?' Season 3 Cast". The Hollywood Reporter.
- TLC Reveals the Celebrity Contributors on ‘Who Do You Think You Are?’ Including Kelly Clarkson & Jim Parsons – Video - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers
- Ross, Robyn (July 9, 2013). "Exclusive First Look: TLC Gives Who Do You Think You Are? New Life". TV Guide. CBS Interactive. Retrieved July 10, 2013.
- "Zooey Deschanel". Who Do You Think You Are?. Season 4. Episode 4. 2013-08-13. TLC. http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/who-do-you-think-you-are/videos/zooey-deschanel-.htm. Retrieved 2013-08-15.
- "Who Do You Think You Are? Episode: "Zooey Deschanel"". TV Guide. CBS Interactive. Retrieved August 8, 2013.
- "Who Do You Think You Are? Episode: "Chris O'Donnell"". TV Guide. CBS Interactive. Retrieved August 8, 2013.
- Nguyen, Hanh (March 6, 2010). "TV Ratings: CBS edges out NBC Friday". ZAP2it.com. Tribune Media Services. Retrieved April 5, 2010.
- Seidman, Robert (March 6, 2010). "TV Ratings: Medium, Dateline Lead Night; Who Do You Think You Are Debuts". TVbytheNumbers. Retrieved April 5, 2010.
- Porter, Rick (March 13, 2010). "TV ratings: 'Numb3rs' finale leads CBS Friday". Zap2It.com. Retrieved March 13, 2010.
- Seidman, Robert (March 13, 2010). "TV Ratings: Numb3rs Counted For the Last Time?". TVByTheNumbers.com. Retrieved March 13, 2010.
- Law, Christine (April 24, 2010). "TV Ratings: Family tree show helps NBC take a Friday win". ZAP2it.com. Tribune Media Services. Retrieved April 28, 2010.
- Gorman, Bill (April 24, 2010). "TV Ratings: Dateline Leads NBC Win, As Food Revolution Ends Without A Bang". TVbytheNumbers. Retrieved April 28, 2010.
- Porter, Rick (May 1, 2010). "TV ratings: CBS, NBC share Friday victory". ZAP2it.com. Tribune Media Services. Retrieved May 1, 2010.
- Seidman, Robert (May 1, 2010). "TV Ratings: Dateline Leads Friday Again". TVbytheNumbers. Retrieved May 1, 2010.
- Seidman, Robert (February 7, 2011). "Friday Finals: No Adjustments for 'Fringe,' 'Supernatural,' 'Smallville' or Any Other Show's 18-49 Ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 28, 2011.
- Gorman, Bill (February 14, 2011). "Friday Final Ratings: 'CSI:NY' Adjusted Up; No Adjustment For 'Fringe,' 'Smallville,' 'Supernatural'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 28, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (February 22, 2011). "Friday Final Ratings: 'Blue Bloods' Falls; No Adjustments for 'Fringe,' 'Smallville' and 'Supernatural". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 28, 2011.
- Gorman, Bill (February 28, 2011). "Friday Final Ratings: 'CSI:NY' Adjusted Up; No Adjustments For 'Fringe,' 'Supernatural,' 'Smallville'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 28, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (March 7, 2011). "Friday Final Ratings: 'Smallville' Adjusted Down, 20/20 Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 7, 2011.
- Gorman, Bill (March 26, 2011). "Updated TV Ratings Friday: 'Fringe' Rebounds, 'Shark Tank's' Mark Cuban Still Can't Beat The Donald". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 26, 2011.
- Gorman, Bill (April 2, 2011). "TV Ratings Friday: 'Chaos' Bombs; 'CSI:NY,' 'Blue Bloods' Return Down; 'Shark Tank' Steady". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 2, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (April 10, 2011). "TV Ratings Friday: 'Chaos' Goes Even Lower and Takes 'CSI: NY' & 'Blue Bloods' Down With It; 'Shark Tank' Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 10, 2011.
- The Futon Staff Critic (April 9, 2011). "Friday's Broadcast Ratings: 'Chaos' Craters in Second Week". The Futon Critic. Retrieved April 9, 2011.
- Who Do You Think You Are? DVD news: Announcement for Who Do You Think You Are? - Season 1 | TVShowsOnDVD.com
- Who Do You Think You Are - U.S. [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: Film & TV
- "Who Do You Think You Are? (Usa) | DVD Movies & TV Shows, Genres, Special Interest / Documentary : JB HI-FI". Jbhifionline.com.au. Retrieved 2014-01-22.
- Amazon.com: Who Do You Think You Are: Season 2: Who Do You Think You Are?: Movies & TV
- Who Do You Think You Are? USA - Series Two [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: Vanessa Williams, Tim McGraw, Rosie O'Donnell, Lionel Richie, Steve Buscemi, Gwyneth Paltrow, Ashley Judd: ...
- "Who Do You Think You Are?". Channel Nine Australia. Archived from the original on May 2, 2010.
- "RTÉ News".
- "Who Do You Think You Are? USA". RTÉ News.
- BBC One - Who Do You Think You Are?
- Official website
- Who Do You Think You Are? at the Internet Movie Database
- Who Do You Think You Are? at TV.com