Who We Are (Switchfoot song)
|"Who We Are"|
|Single by Switchfoot|
|from the album Fading West|
|Released||September 17, 2013|
|Genre||Alternative rock, Indie rock|
|Switchfoot singles chronology|
"Who We Are" is a song by American alternative rock band Switchfoot, released on September 17, 2013 as the first track on the band's Fading West EP and the lead radio single promoting Switchfoot's ninth studio album, Fading West, which was released on January 14, 2014. On January 21, a single containing three remixes of the song was released.
Song theme and recording
In an interview with Rolling Stone, Switchfoot bassist Tim Foreman said, "This song takes me back to when our band was first starting out – driving around California stuffed into a minivan with guitars and drums, ready to take on the world. Armed with nothing but a few songs and a wild hope, we were dumb enough to think that it could work. Maybe that's the only way that the world has ever changed, by people dumb enough to try. So here's to everyone who's young and dumb enough to ignore the crowd and believe in who they are."
The song features vocals of Switchfoot members' children. One of the scenes in the Fading West film shows the recording of the song, with vocalist Jon Foreman sitting in the studio on the floor, conducting the children's choir.
In a review for Indie Vision Music, Ian Zandi wrote that the song "sets the beat" and is the "best possible track they [Switchfoot] could have picked to be the start of the Fading West EP." He also added, "Jon sounds cleaner than ever before as his grizzly bear vocals are nowhere to be found. Musically, the song is very spacious. I would compare the atmosphere of the EP itself to the likes of Coldplay, Bon Iver and Arcade Fire. This is not to say that Switchfoot sounds like those bands. They don’t really. It is more of the feeling of the music. It evokes emotions, it is relaxing, engaging, and it’s encouraging. 'Who We Are' may not be my favorite Switchfoot song but it is very fitting."
On September 18, 2013, a music video for "Who We Are" premiered on the Rolling Stone magazine website. It was released onto Switchfoot's official YouTube channel a day later, on September 19. The video consists of scenes from the band's rock documentary Fading West, which were filmed during Switchfoot’s 2012 World Tour, in locations such as the U.S., South Africa, Bali, Australia and New Zealand.
|1.||"Who We Are" (Michael Calfan Radio Edit)||3:20|
|2.||"Who We Are" (New World Sound Radio Edit)||3:15|
|3.||"Who We Are" (Dave Winnel Radio Edit)||3:07|
|US Hot Rock Songs (Billboard)||28|
|US Rock Airplay (Billboard)||42|
|US Alternative Songs (Billboard)||16|
|US Christian Songs (Billboard)||13|
- "Modern Rock – Available for Airplay". FMQB (Mediaspan Online Services). Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- Zemler, Emily (November 29, 2013). "Switchfoot Hopes Surf Documentary Will Help It Crest the Charts Again". Billboard. Retrieved December 9, 2013.
- "Who We Are (Remixes) - Single by Switchfoot". iTunes. January 21, 2014. Retrieved January 22, 2014.
- Luerssen, John D. (September 18, 2013). "Switchfoot Hit the Road in 'Who We Are' - Premiere". Rolling Stone. Retrieved September 19, 2013.
- "Switchfoot -- In-Depth Behind Fading West". YouTube. September 17, 2013. Retrieved September 20, 2013.
- Zandi, Ian (September 17, 2013). "Switchfoot – Fading West EP". Indie Vision Music. Retrieved September 19, 2013.
- "Switchfoot -- Who We Are [Official Video]". YouTube. September 19, 2013. Retrieved September 19, 2013.
- Graff, Gary (April 2, 2013). "Switchfoot to Share Surfing, Stage and Studio Footage in 'Fading West' Film". Billboard. Retrieved June 25, 2013.
- "Fading West Trailer + Press Release; New Switchfoot Website; Fall Tour Dates". Land of Broken Hearts. June 25, 2013. Retrieved June 25, 2013.
- "Switchfoot Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Rock Songs for Switchfoot. Retrieved January 24, 2014.
- "Switchfoot Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Rock Airplay for Switchfoot. Retrieved January 24, 2014.
- "Switchfoot Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Alternative Songs for Switchfoot. Retrieved December 19, 2013.
- "Switchfoot Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Christian Songs for Switchfoot. Retrieved December 27, 2013.