|Studio album by Hall & Oates|
|Released||November 12, 1972|
|Hall & Oates chronology|
Whole Oats is the debut album by American pop music duo Hall & Oates, released in 1972. The duo consisted of Daryl Hall and John Oates, both of Philadelphia. Prior to making this album the duo made numerous demos, some of which were released on the Past Times Behind collection. It was released on CD for the second time on February 12, 2008 by American Beat Records, putting it back in print after the original Atlantic Records CD release went out of print.
"I'm Sorry" was covered by Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues for his solo album Night Flight in 1980. Cecilio & Kapono covered "Goodnight and Goodmorning" and made it the lead-off track of their 1975 album, Elua. Jim Capaldi covered "Goodnight and Goodmorning" in 1976, though his version was only released as the A-side to a USA-only single.
Daryl Hall (whose given last name is "Hohl") and John Oates named their partnership "Whole Oats" before signing with Atlantic Records. Accordingly, Atlantic issued a promo single for "Goodnight and Good Morning" in advance of the album, crediting the single to the group Whole Oats. However, by the time the album was issued, the "group" was known (and credited) as Daryl Hall & John Oates, although the "Whole Oats" name was kept for the album title.
This album was not as successful as the duo's future projects.
- Side One
- "I'm Sorry" (Hall, Oates) - 3:06
- "All Our Love" (Hall, Oates) - 2:41
- "Georgie" (Hall) - 2:42
- "Fall in Philadelphia" (Hall) - 3:58
- "Waterwheel" (Hall) - 3:52
- "Lazyman" (Hall) - 3:15
- Side Two
- "Goodnight and Goodmorning" (Hall, Oates) - 3:18
- "They Needed Each Other" (Hall) - 3:59
- "Southeast City Window" (Oates) - 2:31
- "Thank You For..." (Oates) - 4:36
- "Lilly (Are You Happy)" (Hall, Oates) - 4:10
- Daryl Hall - synthesizer, guitar, mandolin, vibraphone, vocals
- John Oates - synthesizer, guitar, vocals
- Bill Keith - pedal steel
- Jim Helmer - drums, percussion
- Arif Mardin - horn and string arrangements
- Michael McCarthy - bass
- Mike Patto - bass
- Jerry Ricks - guitar
- Produced by Arif Mardin
- Recorded and Engineered by Lewis Hahn and Gene Paul
- Mixed by Gene Paul
- Mastered by Stephen Innocenzi