|Studio album by Dalbello|
|Recorded||1984 at Phase One Studios in Toronto|
|Genre||Alternative rock, experimental, avant-garde|
|Producer||Lisa Dalbello, Mick Ronson|
CD version cover
whomanfoursays is the fourth studio album by Canadian musician Dalbello. It is Dalbello's first concept album. Lisa Dalbello describes its concept as "[a collection of] songs about relationships with people that sometimes are forced into molds, that they don't know that they can break out of. These are stories about people that are trying to become the people that they really wanna be."
The album was released in 1984, which marked a change in direction in her musical career, away from the soul R&B image of her previous albums and toward a more individual and avant-garde sound. Dalbello wrote every track herself, and changed her recording name from Lisa Dal Bello to her last name only. Musician Mick Ronson, who collaborated extensively to the project, produced the album with her; all instruments were played by either or both of them.
The title is a homophone for the words "human forces". The original vinyl album cover features in either black or whitethe name in faux Cyrillic letters; on the CD version this was replaced with regular uppercase lettering.
Three songs from this album were covered by notable artists: "Gonna Get Close to You" by progressive metal band Queensrÿche on Rage For Order (1986), "Wait for an Answer" by Heart on Bad Animals (1987), and "Animal" by German metal band Heavens Gate on Planet E (1996).
|1.||"Gonna Get Close to You"||Lisa Dalbello||4:29|
|2.||"Devious Nature"||Lisa Dalbello||4:01|
|3.||"She Pretends"||Lisa Dalbello||4:31|
|4.||"Wait for an Answer"||Lisa Dalbello||5:38|
|2.||"Cardinal Sin"||Lisa Dalbello||4:06|
|3.||"Guilty By Association"||Lisa Dalbello||3:34|
|4.||"Path of Least Resistance"||Lisa Dalbello||5:56|
|5.||"Target (My Eyes Are Aimed At You)"||Lisa Dalbello||6:03|
- Lisa Dalbello — lead vocals, record producer, drums, bass, keyboards, mixing
- Mick Ronson — record producer, guitars, bass, keyboards, mixing
- Carole Pope — background vocals in "Animal"
- CMI Fairlight operated by John Forbes
- Produced By Mick Ronson & Dalbello
- Engineered By Lenny Rose; additional engineering by Mick Walsh & Kevin Markland
- Mixed By Dalbello, Lenny Rose & Mick Ronson
- Mastered By George Marino
- Deborah Samuel — photography
- Joe Primeur — assistant
- Heather Brown — art direction and design
- Hand lettering by Mary Margaret O'Hara
- "This album was recorded with the Hughmann technique"
- All Songs Published By Dalbello Toonz.
|Canadian Albums Chart||96||—||—|
- Allmusic review
- "Dalbello - whomanfoursays Canadian chart positions". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 2010-02-26.