Why (Jadakiss song)
|Single by Jadakiss featuring Anthony Hamilton|
|from the album Kiss of Death|
|Released||July 13, 2004|
|Genre||Political hip hop, rap|
|Label||Ruff Ryders, Interscope|
|Writer(s)||J. Phillips, A. Hamilton, K. Muchita, P. Moerlen|
|Jadakiss singles chronology|
"Why" is a protest song by rapper Jadakiss, released as the second single from his second solo album Kiss of Death. It features singer Anthony Hamilton in the chorus and was produced by Mobb Deep member Havoc. It was a crossover hit in several countries. The song ranked #64 in About.com's Top 100 Rap Songs. The remix produced by Elite with a new chorus was later released featuring Anthony Hamilton, Styles P, Common, and Nas. Another remix was released, titled "Why 2K7", featuring rapper Lil' Wayne. This remix is available on DJ 007's Beast of the East, a collaboration mixtape with Fabolous and Jadakiss.
Although not a remix nor a sequel, Jadakiss released the song 'What If' that almost follows the same concept as 'Why': All his verses starts of with the latter title. It included Nas (who - as mentioned above - was featured in the remix of Why) and it is featured on his album The Last Kiss.
Jadakiss attracted some controversy and condemnation from political commentator Bill O'Reilly, who labeled him a "smear merchant" due to lyrics in the song, which state Jada's belief that George W. Bush coordinated the September 11 attacks:
"Why do niggas push pounds of powder?/Why did Bush knock down the towers?"
"Bush" is censored in clean versions of the song. The music video shows a man holding up a picket sign reading "BUCK FUSH" - a spoonerism of "FUCK BUSH".
Bill O'Reilly took the position that the President should be allowed to sue Jadakiss for slander. The track was eventually banned on some radio stations or played with the lyrics in question censored.   
- "Why" (album version)
- "Kiss of Death" (main version)
- "The Champ Is Here" (explicit version)
- "Why" (video)
|Billboard Hot 100||11|
|Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs||4|
|Hot Rap Singles||3|
|Rhythmic Top 40||12|
|Top 40 Tracks||40|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
- Top 100 Rap Songs. About.com.
- Counterbias: Rapper Jadakiss, In New Song Lyric, Suggests Bush Complicity In 9/11 Attacks
- Abstract Dynamics: Why?
- USATODAY.com - Rapper Jadakiss blames Bush for September 11 in new song
- FOXNews.com - The Smearing of America Continues - Bill O’Reilly | The O’Reilly Factor
- "American single certifications – Jadakiss – Why". Recording Industry Association of America. November 17, 2004. Retrieved June 12, 2013. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH