Why I Am Not a Muslim
|Media type||Print (Hardcover and Paperback)|
|LC Class||BP169 .I28 1995|
|Followed by||The Origins of The Koran: Classic Essays on Islam’s Holy Book|
Why I Am Not a Muslim, a book written by Ibn Warraq, is a critique of Islam and the Qur'an. It was first published by Prometheus Books in the United States in 1995. The title of the book is a homage to Bertrand Russell's essay, Why I Am Not a Christian, in which Russell criticizes the religion in which he was raised.
Outraged over the fatwa and death threats against Salman Rushdie, ibn Warraq assumes a pseudonym to pen what one critics calls "serious and thought-provoking book" using a "sledge-hammer" approach to "demolish" Islam. The author's "polemic" criticizes Islam's mythology, theology, historic achievements, and current cultural influence. Warraq, drawing largely on previous research, provides an "invaluable compilation" of Islam's shortcomings. He "makes a compelling case" that Islam is "flatly incompatible" with "individual rights and liberties of a liberal, democratic, secular state."
- Chapter 1 The Rushdie Affair
- Chapter 2 The Origins of Islam
- Chapter 3 The Problem of Sources
- Chapter 4 Muhammad and His Message
- Chapter 5 The Koran
- Chapter 6 The Totalitarian Nature of Islam
- Chapter 7 Is Islam Compatible with Democracy and Human Rights?
- Chapter 8 Arab Imperialism, Islamic Colonialism
- Chapter 9 The Arab Conquests and the Position of Non-Muslim Subjects
- Chapter 10 Heretics and Heterodoxy, Atheism and Freethought, Reason and Revelation
- Chapter 11 Greek Philosophy and Science and Their Influence on Islam
- Chapter 12 Sufism or Islamic Mysticism
- Chapter 13 Al-Ma'arri
- Chapter 14 Women and Islam
- Chapter 15 Taboos: Wine, Pigs, and Homosexuality
- Chapter 16 Final Assessment of Muhammad
- Chapter 17 Islam in the West
- Prometheus Books (hardcover), 1995, ISBN 0-87975-984-4
- (French) Age d'homme, (1999), ISBN 2-8251-1259-3
- (Persian), 2000
- Prometheus Books (paperback), 2003, ISBN 1-59102-011-5
- (Spanish) Ediciones del Bronce, Barcelona, 2003 ISBN 84-8453-146-5
- (Danish) Lindhardt og Ringhof, 2004, ISBN 87-595-2065-5
- Daniel Pipes (Jan 22, 1996). "Why I Am Not a Muslim". Weekly Standard. Retrieved May 13, 2013.
- Antony Flew. "Turning Away From Mecca". The Salisbury Review (Spring 1996).