Wichita County, Kansas
|Wichita County, Kansas|
Wichita County courthouse in Leoti (2015)
Location in the state of Kansas
Kansas's location in the U.S.
|Founded||24 December 1886|
|Named for||Wichita people|
|• Total||719 sq mi (1,862 km2)|
|• Land||719 sq mi (1,862 km2)|
|• Water||0.02 sq mi (0 km2), 0.0%|
|• Density||3.1/sq mi (1/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Law and government
Although the Kansas Constitution was amended in 1986 to allow the sale of alcoholic liquor by the individual drink with the approval of voters, Wichita County has remained a prohibition, or "dry", county.
- Logan County (north)
- Scott County (east)
- Kearny County (south)
- Hamilton County (southwest/MST Border)
- Greeley County (west/MST Border)
- Wallace County (northwest/MST Border)
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,531 people, 967 households, and 723 families residing in the county. The population density was 4 people per square mile (1/km²). There were 1,119 housing units at an average density of 2 per square mile (1/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 86.25% White, 0.08% Black or African American, 0.71% Native American, 0.08% Asian, 10.51% from other races, and 2.37% from two or more races. 18.41% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 967 households out of which 35.10% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 65.30% were married couples living together, 5.80% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.20% were non-families. 23.70% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.00% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.59 and the average family size was 3.07.
In the county the population was spread out with 28.70% under the age of 18, 7.30% from 18 to 24, 25.70% from 25 to 44, 22.30% from 45 to 64, and 16.00% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 104.40 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 102.60 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $33,462, and the median income for a family was $41,034. Males had a median income of $27,523 versus $18,807 for females. The per capita income for the county was $16,720. About 11.20% of families and 14.80% of the population were below the poverty line, including 23.20% of those under age 18 and 4.70% of those age 65 or over.
- Leoti USD 467
Wichita County has a single township. None of the cities within the county are considered governmentally independent, and all figures for the townships include those of the cities. In the following table, the population center is the largest city (or cities) included in that township's population total, if it is of a significant size.
/km² (/sq mi)
km² (sq mi)
km² (sq mi)
|Water %||Geographic coordinates|
|Leoti||39575||Leoti||2,531||1 (4)||1,861 (719)||0 (0)||0%|
Information on this and other counties in Kansas
- List of counties in Kansas
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Kansas
- Kansas locations by per capita income
Other information for Kansas
- List of cities in Kansas
- List of unified school districts in Kansas
- List of colleges and universities in Kansas
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 29, 2014.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Map of Wet and Dry Counties". Alcoholic Beverage Control, Kansas Department of Revenue. November 2004. Retrieved 2007-01-21.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 29, 2014.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved July 29, 2014.
- "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 29, 2014.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 29, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- History of the State of Kansas; William G. Cutler; A.T. Andreas Publisher; 1883. (Online HTML eBook)
- Kansas : A Cyclopedia of State History, Embracing Events, Institutions, Industries, Counties, Cities, Towns, Prominent Persons, Etc; 3 Volumes; Frank W. Blackmar; Standard Publishing Co; 944 / 955 / 824 pages; 1912. (Volume1 - Download 54MB PDF eBook),(Volume2 - Download 53MB PDF eBook), (Volume3 - Download 33MB PDF eBook)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wichita County, Kansas.|
- Wichita County Maps: Current, Historic, KDOT
- Kansas Highway Maps: Current, Historic, KDOT
- Kansas Railroad Maps: Current, 1996, 1915, KDOT and Kansas Historical Society
||Wallace County||Logan County||Logan County|
|Greeley County||Scott County|
|Hamilton County||Kearny County||Finney County|