Wichita Falls Municipal Airport
|Wichita Falls Municipal Airport
Sheppard Air Force Base
|USGS 1996 orthophoto|
|IATA: SPS – ICAO: KSPS – FAA LID: SPS|
|Airport type||Public / Military|
|Owner||U.S. Air Force|
|Operator||City of Wichita Falls|
|Location||Wichita Falls, Texas|
|Elevation AMSL||1,019 ft / 311 m|
|Source: Federal Aviation Administration|
Wichita Falls Municipal Airport (IATA: SPS, ICAO: KSPS, FAA LID: SPS) is a public and military airport six miles north of downtown Wichita Falls, in Wichita County, Texas. Its runways and taxiways are shared with Sheppard Air Force Base. It is used for military aviation but has American Eagle flights to Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport.
The National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2011–2015 called it a primary commercial service airport. Federal Aviation Administration records say the airport had 47,191 passenger boardings (enplanements) in calendar year 2008, 43,952 in 2009 and 44,296 in 2010.
Facilities and aircraft
- 15R/33L, 13,100 by 300 feet (3,993 x 91 m) concrete;
- 15C/33C, 10,002 by 150 feet (3,049 x 46 m) asphalt/concrete;
- 15L/33R, 6,000 by 150 feet (1,829 x 46 m) asphalt/concrete;
- 17/35, 7,021 by 150 feet (2,140 x 46 m) asphalt.
In the year ending June 30, 2012 the airport had 105,028 aircraft operations, average 287 per day: 93% military, 5% general aviation, and 2% scheduled commercial. 219 aircraft were then based at this airport: 91% military, 6% single-engine, 2% multi-engine, and 1% jet.
Airlines and destinations
Scheduled passenger nonstops:
|American Eagle operated by Envoy||Dallas/Fort Worth|
- FAA Airport Master Record for SPS ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective November 15, 2012.
- "IATA Airport Code Search (SPS: Wichita Falls / Sheppard AFB)". International Air Transport Association. Retrieved July 18, 2013.
- "2011–2015 NPIAS Report, Appendix A" (PDF, 2.03 MB). National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2010.
- "Enplanements for CY 2008" (PDF, 1.0 MB). CY 2008 Passenger Boarding and All-Cargo Data. Federal Aviation Administration. December 18, 2009.
- "Enplanements for CY 2010" (PDF, 189 KB). CY 2010 Passenger Boarding and All-Cargo Data. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2011.
- Wichita Falls Municipal Airport
- Wichita Falls Municipal (SPS) at Texas DOT airport directory
- Aerial image as of January 1995 from USGS The National Map
- (PDF), effective March 6, 2014
- FAA Terminal Procedures for SPS, effective March 6, 2014
- Resources for this airport: