Wick railway station
|An external view of Wick railway station|
|Managed by||First ScotRail|
|Number of platforms||1|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Original company||Sutherland and Caithness Railway|
|28 July 1874||Opened|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Wick from Office of Rail Regulation statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Wick railway station is a railway station serving the town of Wick, in the Highland council area in the north of Scotland. The station is the terminus of the Far North Line, near Wick police station and Caithness General Hospital, within the former county of Caithness.
The station was built by the Sutherland and Caithness Railway, opening the line in 1874. On 1 July 1903, the station became the junction with the Wick and Lybster Light Railway. The last trains to Lybster ran in 1944, although the line was not officially closed until 1951.
Thurso station also features an end point to this line, but after reaching Thurso, services from Inverness turn back to Georgemas Junction before heading east for Wick, making Wick the de facto terminus.
Monday - Saturday
- 4tpd (trains per day) to Inverness at 06:20, 08:12, 12:35 & 16:00
- 1tpd to Inverness at 11:51
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Georgemas Junction||First ScotRail
Far North Line
Station closed; Line open
Sutherland and Caithness Railway
Station and Line closed
|Wick and Lybster Railway
Operated by Highland Railway
- Butt (1995), page 250
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0508-1. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0086-1. OCLC 22311137.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 0-9068-9999-0. OCLC 228266687.
- Railscot: Sutherland and Caithness Railway
- Railscot: Wick and Lybster Light Railway
- First ScotRail North Highlands Timetable
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Thurso railway station.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wick railway station.|
|This Scotland railway station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|