Wickham railway station
Station looking west in July 2013
|Address||Beresford Street, Wickham
|Distance||165.93 km (103.10 mi) from Central|
|Opened||9 February 1936|
|Fare zone||MyZone 3|
The Central Coast & Newcastle line and Hunter railway line will be truncated to Hamilton on 26 December 2014 to allow construction of the Newcastle Light Rail. This will result in Wickham being redeveloped as the line's terminus where it will connect with the light rail.
In conjunction with the truncation of the Newcastle line at Wickham, approval has been given for the construction of an interchange which will integrate trains, buses, taxis, light rail, cyclists and car drop-off and pick-ups. The station will close on 26 December 2014 and is scheduled to re-open in 2016.
The contract to carry out this work was awarded to Laing O’Rourke Construction Australia on 18 December 2014.
Platforms & services
Wickham has two side platforms that can only accommodate four carriages. Passengers on longer trains are required to use the rear four carriages. It is serviced by NSW TrainLink Central Coast & Newcastle line services travelling from Sydney to Newcastle and Hunter line services travelling from Newcastle to Maitland, Muswellbrook, Scone, Telarah and Dungog.
In 2007 Platform 1 was extended at its eastern end to allow Stewart Avenue level crossing to remain open while trains are stopped at the station.
|1||Central Coast & Newcastle Line||Electric Multiple Unit services to Gosford & Sydney|
|Hunter Line||Endeavour/Hunter railcar services to Maitland, Telarah, Dungog, Muswellbrook & Scone|
|2||Central Coast & Newcastle Line||Electric Multiple Unit services to Newcastle|
|Hunter Line||Endeavour/Hunter railcar services to Newcastle|
Wickham Signal Box
Wickham Signal Box is situated at the Newcastle end of the station and controls a short section between Hamilton and Newcastle, including Railway Street and Stewart Avenue level crossings. It is attended continuously.
Newcastle Buses operates one route via Wickham railway station:
- Wickham Station NSWrail.net
- Revitalisation of Newcastle CBD underway with truncation to begin on Boxing Day Transport for NSW 3 July 2014
- Revitalisation of Newcastle CBD continues as Wickham interchange gets the green light Transport for NSW 14 November 2014
- Tender awarded to design and construct new Wickham interchange Transport for NSW 18 December 2014
- Central Coast & Newcastle line timetable NSW TrainLink 20 October 2013
- Hunter line timetable NSW TrainLink 20 October 2013
- Wickham Station details Sydney Trains
- Newcastle Rail Corridor Upgrade Projects NSW Premier's Office
- Media related to Wickham railway station at Wikimedia Commons