|Developer(s)||The Widelands Development Team|
|Engine||custom (SDL based)|
Widelands is a free slow-paced real-time strategy video game under the GNU General Public License. Widelands takes many ideas from and is quite similar to The Settlers and The Settlers II. It is still a work in progress game, with development still required in graphics and bugfixing. The game runs on several operating systems such as AmigaOS 4, GNU/Linux, BSD, Mac OS X and Windows.
Widelands has single-player, network and internet multiplayer modes, single player campaign missions and an internationalisation system with translations for Czech, German, English, Finnish, French, Galician, Hebrew, Hungarian, Polish, Russian, Spanish, Slovak, Swedish and Dutch. Players may select one of three different tribes. Widelands provides two tutorial missions. Advanced players can create their own maps with the included map editor. It is also possible to import and play original Settlers II maps.
The game was reviewed by Linux Journal which noted:
Delve into this game, and there's much that lies beneath the surface. It has simple things that please, like how the in-game menus are very sophisticated and solid, with none of the bugginess you get in many amateur games. But, it's the complete reversal of hyperspeed in its gameplay that I really love. I always want to get back to building my base when playing most RTS games, but I'm constantly drawn away by fire fights. This game lets you keep building, and places serious emphasis on how you do it.
The French free software web site Framasoft said:
This 2d game with a top-down view is a classic RTS remake, with simple graphics, although functional and efficient. We quickly found the happiness of the old Settlers series with the management of different sized sites, the positioning of the roads which bring resources and advancing your zone of influence with different military buildings.
- "Build 17 is out of the doors". 2012-04-24. Retrieved 2012-04-24.
- "Widelands Open Source". August 13, 2011. Retrieved 2012-03-09.
- About Widelands Widelands Wiki[dead link]
- "Widelands". Retrieved March 9, 2012.
- Changes since the beginning of the project and planned changes for the future
- Bugtracker of the project and feature request list of the project.
- Knight, John (May 1, 2009). "New Projects - Fresh from the Labs".
- Erik Bärwaldt (April 2008). "Strategiespiel Widelands". LinuxUser.
- "Artikel aus c't 4/08, S.152, zu Widelands Build 11". heise online. April 2008.
- "Widelands". April 4, 2008.