Widow Wake My Mind
|"Widow Wake My Mind"|
"Widow Wake My Mind" cover
|Promotional single by The Smashing Pumpkins from the album Teargarden by Kaleidyscope|
|Released||January 18, 2010|
Promotional CD cover
"Widow Wake My Mind" is a 2010 song by the alternative rock band The Smashing Pumpkins. It is the second track released from the band's eighth album Teargarden by Kaleidyscope. The song was released as a promotional CD single for radio play and was added to the rotation of several major-market stations. Additionally, the band performed the song live with an Up With People choir on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno on April 20, 2010 to promote the Songs for a Sailor EP release.
The song received mixed reviews. William Goodman of Spin gave it a positive review, describing it as "a well-crafted pop-rock song with spare piano interludes, never-overbearing drums, and a big, song-capping vocal with polished guitar solos." According to Goodman, the song opens with a funk-inspired jangly guitar riff and drops into a bass guitar and keyboard section, accompanying Billy Corgan's nasal singing. He also praised Mike Byrne's drumming skills. Nevertheless, Sean Highkin of Beats Per Minute panned the song. He wrote that "Widow” is clearly trying to be a guitar-driven anthem in the “Zero”/”Here is No Why” vein, but the annoyingly clean production makes it sound like a rejected Zeitgeist Best Buy bonus track." He also criticized Byrne's drumming in contrast to Goodman and called the song as "worse Mellon Collie disc-two duds like “X.Y.U.”." The Wall Street Journal also indicated that the song has a "mid-career Beatles-like feel, with a bright melody and expansive production."
- Technical personnel
- Breihan, Tom (January 18, 2010). "New Smashing Pumpkins Track: "Widow Wake My Mind"". Pitchfork. Retrieved July 14, 2013.
- Owen, Tom (January 19, 2010). "LIsten to New Smashing Pumpkins Track 'Widow Wake My Mind' Now!". Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved July 15, 2013.
- "The Smashing Pumpkins – "The Fellowship" & "Jesus Needs A Hit"". Stereogum. Retrieved 2011-06-28.
- Marty Lennartz (2010-04-21). "The Smashing Pumpkins On Jay Leno". Wxrt.radio.com. Retrieved 2011-06-28.
- "The Smashing Pumpkins “Widow Wake My Mind” (live on Jay Leno)". Tiny Mix Tapes. April 21, 2010. Retrieved July 15, 2013.
- Goodman, William (January 19 2010). "REVIEW: Smashing Pumpkins Release New Song". Spin. Retrieved July 14, 2013.
- Highkin, Sean (January 28, 2010). "Smashing Pumpkins "Widow Wake My Mind"". Beats Per Minute. Retrieved July 15, 2013.
- "Smashing Pumpkins Give Away New Song, “Widow Wake My Mind”". The Wall Street Journal. January 18, 2010. Retrieved July 15, 2013.
- Kreps, Daniel (January 19, 2010). "Smashing Pumpkins Unleash "Teargarden" Track "Widow Wake My Mind"". Rolling Stone. Retrieved July 15, 2013.
|This rock song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|