||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the German Wikipedia. (October 2011)|
|Built||between 1953 and 1958|
|Expanded||1974 with a public swimming pool|
Wiener Stadthalle is an indoor arena, located in the 15th district of Vienna, Austria. It was designed by Austrian architect Roland Rainer and built from 1953 to 1958. The arena has an overall seating capacity of approximately 16,000 people.
The arena comprises 6 halls: A and B (gymnasiums), C (ice arena), D (main hall, mostly for concerts e.g. Metallica ), E (for smaller events e.g. Die Stehaufmandln ) & F (for more intimate concerts e.g. Women's World Award). In 1974, the additional Stadthallenbad, a public swimming pool, was built.
On August 6, 2014 the Stadthalle was chosen to be the host venue for the Eurovision Song Contest 2015, following the victory of Conchita Wurst in the 2014 Final in Copenhagen. The Arena will host the event with the semifinals to be held on the 19 May and 21 May and the final on the night of 23 May 2015.
Many famous shows and artists played at the Wiener Stadthalle, spanning many genres of music.
- Alice Cooper stopped at the Wiener Stadthalle on September 7, 1975 during his Welcome to My Nightmare Tour.
- Led Zeppelin played there on June 26, 1980 during their Tour Over Europe 1980.
- Rainbow gave a performance at the venue on October 18, 1977, after which Ritchie Blackmore was arrested for kicking an overzealous bouncer and breaking his jaw. (Although Rainbow never performed there again, Blackmore did, with the reformed Deep Purple, in '85 and '87.).
- Bob Dylan played a few concerts at the Wiener Stadthalle. One on July 21, 1981 during his Bob Dylan World Tour 1981 another one on June 14, 1984 during his Bob Dylan 1984 European Tour, and four during his Never Ending Tour on April 30, 1999 on October 27, 2003 on June 10, 2008 and the last on June 28, 2014.
- Prince stopped three times at the Wiener Stadthalle, first on May 29, and May 30, 1987 during the Sign o' the Times Tour second time on July 13, 2010 as part of his Prince 20Ten Tour and on July 7, 2014.
- Whitney Houston performed four times at the Wiener Stadthalle. Once on June 16, 1988 as part of her Moment of Truth World Tour, second time on October 22 and 23, 1999 during her My Love Is Your Love World Tour and last time on May 19, 2010 while toruing Europe with her Nothing But Love World Tour.
- The American boy band Backstreet Boys performed two concerts at the Wiener Stadthalle. One show on December 19, 1996 as part of their Backstreet Boys: Live in Concert Tour and eighteen years later on July 15, 2014 during their In a World Like This Tour.
- Four times the Wiener Stadthalle was the venue for the German show Wetten dass..?: May 16, 1981, March 22, 1997, December 7, 2002, March 23, 2013.
- Janet Jackson stopped at the Wiener Stadthalle on May 3, 1998 during her Velvet Rope Tour. Another concert on November 18, 2001 as part of her All For You Tour was already on sale, but then cancelled due to the September 11 attacks.
- The Spice Girls played two sold out shows as part of their Spiceworld Tour on May 15 and 16, 1998.
- Robbie Williams performed one sold out show during his The Sermon on the Mount Tour on March 13, 2001 and two sold out shows on April 28 and 29, 2014 as part of his The Swing Tour Live.
- Christina Aguilera played two concerts at the Wiener Stadthalle on October 15, 2003 during her The Stripped Tour and on December 16, 2006 during her Back To Basics Tour.
- Mariah Carey performed one show at Wiener Stadthalle during her Charmbracelet World Tour on October 19, 2003.
- Marilyn Manson has played three concerts at the Wiener Stadthalle, first time on December 12, 2003 as part of his Grotesk Burlesk Tour, second time on November 26, 2007 as part of the Rape of the World Tour and third time on December 8, 2012 together with Rob Zombie as part of the Twins of Evil Tour.
- Britney Spears performed at the Wiener Stadthalle during her Onyx Hotel Tour on May 22, 2004.
- American singer Anastacia played three concerts at the Wiener Stadthalle on October 30, 2004 and on February 15, 2005 during her Live at Last Tour and on November 13, 2014 during her Resurrection World Tour. A show on April 20, 2013 as part of her It's a Man's World Tour was already on sale, but then cancelled due to the fact that she was diagnosed with breast cancer for the second time.
- Kylie Minogue played a sold out shows as part of her Showgirl: The Greatest Hits Tour on March 30, 2005, and one concert on May 14, 2008 during her KylieX2008 Tour. Another concert as part of her Kiss Me Once Tour on October 23, 2014 was already on sale, but then cancelled.
- Gwen Stefani performed on October 17, 2007 during her marathon The Sweet Escape Tour.
- Ennio Morricone with orchestra, December 12, 2007 and on February 16, 2014.
- Maroon 5 were planned to play one concert at the Wiener Stadthalle on December 14, 2007 during their It Won't Be Soon Before Long Tour, but the show has been cancelled, due to a scheduling conflict.
- Celine Dion played for the first time in Austria at the Wiener Stadthalle on July 1, 2008 during her Taking Chances World Tour.
- Sezen Aksu performed one show on November 29, 2008.
- Sting performed during his Symphonicities Tour on November 5, 2010, along with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.
- Katy Perry played once in Vienna on February 27, 2011 as part of her California Dreams Tour and will come back on February 26, 2015 for one show of her Prismatic World Tour.
- Laura Pausini performed one show Sold out on May 6, 2012 as part of this Inedito World Tour.
- Pitbull performed one show on July 4, 2012 as part of his Planet Pit World Tour.
- Lady Gaga played a sold out show on November 11, 2010 during The Monster Ball Tour, as well as a sold out show on August 18, 2012 during The Born This Way Ball Tour. She will perform in arena on November 2, 2014, on her Artrave: The Artpop Ball.
- Muse performed one show on December 8, 2006 during their Black Holes and Revelations Tour and seven years later on November 19, 2013 as part of their The 2nd Law World Tour.
- Justin Bieber played a sold out concert at the Wiener Stadthalle on March 30, 2013 as part of his Believe Tour.
- Queens of the Stone Age performed one concert at the Wiener Stadthalle on July 2, 2013.
- Rihanna performed her first show in Vienna on July 9, 2013 as part of her Diamonds World Tour.
- Michael Bublé performed in Vienna on January 25, 2014 and added another concert on November 5, 2014 as a part of his To Be Loved Tour.
- Justin Timberlake performed twice in Vienna: once on June 4, 2007 as part of his FutureSex/LoveShow, the other one was a sold out concert played in 2014 on June 4 as well, as part of his The 20/20 Experience World Tour.
- Miley Cyrus performed one show on June 10, 2014 as part of her Bangerz Tour.
- Lady Gaga will perform on November 2, 2014, on her Artrave: The Artpop Ball.
- Cro will play one concert at the Wiener Stadthalle on November 17, 2014.
- Slash will stop at the Wiener Stadthalle for one concert on November 19, 2014.
- Katy Perry will perform on February 26, 2015, on her Prismatic World Tour.
- Eurovision Song Contest 2015 will take place on 19, 21, and 23 May 2015.
|European Indoor Championships in Athletics
|European Men's Handball Championship
|Eurovision Song Contest
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wiener Stadthalle.|