Wierden city hall
Location in Overijssel
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Henk Robben (CDA)|
|• Total||95.39 km2 (36.83 sq mi)|
|• Land||94.77 km2 (36.59 sq mi)|
|• Water||0.62 km2 (0.24 sq mi)|
|Elevation||11 m (36 ft)|
|Population (May 2014)|
|• Density||253/km2 (660/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Area code||0546, 0547, 0548|
The municipality has 10 primary schools and 1 secondary school. There are 2 soccer clubs, 2 tennis clubs and 1 volleyball club, this is only the top of the clubs. The village has 3 cemeteries in total of which, only one is currently in use. The major is Henk Robben , who is also the chair of the board of major and aldermen.
In midsummer the locally known, 3-day festival "WieZo" is held. Which starts on a Thursday and ends Saturdays. Every night there are 2 musical acts on the Binnenhof. On Saturday there is also the Wiezoloop.
Twin towns — sister cities
Wierden is twinned with:
Since September 2010, the town council decided to stop the cooperation between the municipalities because of the high costs and too low benefit.
- Berthil ter Avest (1970), soccer player
- Loes Haverkort (1981), actress
- Anton Huiskes (1928–2008), ice-skater and trainer (national team)
- Jos Lammertink (1958), cyclist
- Jan Pouls (1964), soccer player
- Johanna ter Steege (1961), actress
- Eddy Zoëy (1967), radio- and TV presentor and singer
- "Wie zit er in het college van b&w?" [Who is member of the board of mayor and aldermen?] (in Dutch). Gemeente Wierden. Retrieved 2 April 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 7642EB". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 2 April 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 26 June 2014. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
|Hof van Twente|
|This Overijssel location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|