Square in Wijchen
Location in Gelderland
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Hans Verheijen (CDA)|
|• Total||69.56 km2 (26.86 sq mi)|
|• Land||66.49 km2 (25.67 sq mi)|
|• Water||3.07 km2 (1.19 sq mi)|
|Elevation||9 m (30 ft)|
|Population (January 2014)|
|• Density||617/km2 (1,600/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Postcode||6600–6606, 6613–6617, 6634|
|Area code||024, 0486, 0487|
Number of residents per population centre per 12 December 2009:
Source: Statistics Netherlands
The population centre Woezik (3,820 residents on 1 January 2005) and the township Laak fall statistical into Wijchen.
Neighbourhoods in Wijchen include:
- Centre: Kloosterakker
- Wijchen-Oost: Valendries, Oosterweg and Uilenboom.
- Woezik: Veenhof and Saltshof.
- Achterlo: Homberg, Heilige Stoel and Kraaijenberg.
- Wijchen-West: Blauwe Hof and Aalsburg.
- Wijchen-Zuid: Abersland, Diepvoorde, Huissteden, Hoogmeer, De Ververt, De Geer, Elsland, De Weertjes, De Grippen, Zesakkers, Zevendreef, Sluiskamp, Oudelaan, and Kronenland.
- Kerkeveld: De Gamert, De Meren, Diemenwei, De Flier, De Lingert.
Streets in most neighbourhoods are numbered instead of named. This is not common practice in the Netherlands, therefore the street numbers are included in the house numbering. E.g. someone living in Abersland, 11th street, house #05 will usually use Abersland 1105 in his address.
Wijchen Castle (town hall)
Parts of Wijchen Castle (Kasteel Wijchen in Dutch) date from the 14th century, but it took its current Mannerist form in the years 1609–1629. It is surrounded by a moat and used to serve as the town hall. Currently, the town hall is on the other side of the road, while the castle is only used for important meetings.
- Fred Rutten (born 1962), football coach
- Roy Makaay (born 1975), footballer
- Claudia van Thiel (born 1977), volleyball player
- "Samenstelling college" [Members of the board] (in Dutch). Gemeente Wijchen. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 6602DE". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 10 March 2014. Retrieved 11 March 2014.
- Stenvert, R. et al. (2000), Monumenten in Nederland: Gelderland, p. 332–333. Zwolle: Waanders Uitgevers. ISBN 90-400-9406-3.
|West Maas en Waal||Nijmegen|
|This Gelderland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|