When data is entered, the system semantically analyzes and recognizes co-occurrences between different entities. The results are visualized through a Knowlet, which is a visual representation of semantic distance between associated entities. This Knowlet is then used to notify persons that have subscribed to these entities, enabling a rapid data interchange between collaborators.
- 245,000 Proteins from UniProt/Swiss-Prot
- 24,000 Gene Ontology terms from the GO Consortium
- 880,000 Concepts from UMLS/NLM
- 112,000,000 Unique sentences from Medline
The project, which is nearing the open beta test phase, is operated by Knewco and led by initiator Barend Mons, a bioinformatician at the Erasmus MC and Leiden University Medical Centre. Knewco intends to profit from WikiProfessionals by charging some users (such as drug firms) for "premium services", for example incorporating a private version of the system with in-house data.
- Jim Giles (2007-02-15). "Key biology databases go wiki". Nature. Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- John Timmer (2007-02-15). "Meet the uber-wiki". ars technica. Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- Bertalan Meskó (2007-04-06). "Web 3.0 and medicine". Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- Bertalan Meskó (2007-09-05). "WikiProfessional Alpha Testing: a wiki of web 3.0". Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- http://proteins.wikiprofessional.org/ WikiProteins