Wikipedia:Academy/K. J. Somaiya Institute of Engineering and Information Technology
A half day Wiki Academy organised for the students of K. J. Somaiya Institute of Engineering and Information Technology with an initiative from IETE student body of the college.
Date and Time
- Date: 31st January 2013
- Time: 3.30 PM to 7.00 PM
Venue and Facilities
- K. J. Somaiya Institute of Engineering and Information Technology, Sion(East), Mumbai. Well equipped computer-lab with internet access. Website
- Faculty members
- Students from first-third year college.
WikiAcademy is the Half-Day workshop to sensitize participants about Wikipedia and to enable them to use and contribute to the sum of human knowledge.
- Theory: 1.5hour
- Wikipedia History and Overview
- Wikipedia Policies
- Setting up computer for Indian Languages ( For participants interested in Indian Languages)
- Internet Lab: 1.5hour
- Browsing Wikipedia
- Editing Wikipedia
- Using the Sandbox
- Nikita Belavate (from Wikimedia India Chapter)
- Tanmay Agte G. (talk) 13:02, 31 January 2013 (UTC)
- Amit Sharma
- Hinal wadia (talk)
- Santoshi Bhosale
- Rishikesh ayre (talk) 13:14, 31 January 2013 (UTC)
- Payal Agrawal (talk) 13:15, 31 January 2013 (UTC)
- Kevalbhavsar2211 (talk) 13:24, 31 January 2013 (UTC)
- Amonkar Nitin D. (talk) 13:02, 31 January 2013 (UTC)
- Vishnu Nair
- Parag Rane
- Tushargaurav (talk) 13:02, 31 January 2013 (UTC)
- SaurabhCF4 (talk) 13:14, 31 January 2013 (UTC)
- Darshitwaghela (talk) 13:05, 31 January 2013 (UTC)
- Ritesh S.Bhanushali (talk) 13:02, 31 January 2013 (UTC)
- Prasady (talk) 13:15, 31 January 2013 (UTC)
- VedantGanguly (talk) 13:17, 31 January 2013 (UTC)
- Akhileshkumar Pal
- Sushil Mishra
- Alok Pandey
- Abh!$heK (talk) 13:26, 31 January 2013 (UTC)
- Sohamdonwalkar (talk) 13:22, 31 January 2013 (UTC)
- Priya Singh (talk) 13:19, 31 January 2013 (UTC)
- Binjal (talk) 13:21, 31 January 2013 (UTC)
- Asmita Sawant (talk)
- Ruchesh D Bhanushali (talk)
- Laxmanthakur14 (talk) 13:26, 31 January 2013 (UTC)
- Niravbhanu (talk)
- Rakshit bhandare (talk) 13:29, 31 January 2013 (UTC)
- Noyz (talk) 13:25, 31 January 2013 (UTC)
- Akhilesh.pal4 (talk) 13:18, 31 January 2013 (UTC)--
--mili~ 06:42, 4 February 2013 (UTC)
We can ! a hands-on Wikipedia editing workshop was organized by Wikimedia India Chapter for the students of K. J. Somaiya Institute of Engineering and Information Technology with an initiative from IETE-ISF student body. 52 enthusiastic K.J.S.I.E.I.T.ians filled the well equipped computer lab on the 6th floor at 3.30 pm. The Workshop started with a short welcome & introduction of the workshop conductor Ms. Nikita Belavate-Executive Committee Member Wikimedia India by Ms. Sonal Joshi-Chairperson IETE. Nikita then started the workshop with Wikipedia History and Overview & explained Wikipedia Policies to the future WikiEditors.
Login ID’s were created by participants using toolserver since the IP block could not be removed. Mr. Ansuman Giri from Bangalore being an admin on en-Wikipedia helped create the s user-accounts of participants. Total 50 accounts were created.
Meanwhile the participants browsed Wikipedia & were shown the different types of articles as per the quality scale-‘featured articles’, ‘good articles’, ‘stubs’. Certain articles were shown that were ‘Semi-protected’ as a measure to safe-guard them from unwary vandalism. After most of the participants received confirmations for their accounts by mail & were ready with their logins, the actual ‘Wikipedia Editing’ began. Wiki syntax was explained followed by adding references (inline citations) & Wiki links, edit summary, view history page, watch-list etc.
Thereby we fixed errors in our college article as well as added some new content. All the participants marked their presence for this first Wikipedia workshop in our college by signing the event page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Academy/K._J._Somaiya_Institute_of_Engineering_and_Information_Technology
After vote of thanks & a hope that the statistic ‘60% of Wikipedia’s registered users never make another edit after their first 24 hours’ would be proved wrong, the informative workshop came to an end at 7 pm.
After the hands-on workshop all the participants had their hands on hot Samosas!
It was indeed a ‘editing evening’ for the to-be engineers & of course budding WikiEditors!
All the participants would be given a Certificate of Participation!