American National Bank of Texas
Founded in 1875, American National Bank of Texas (ANBTX) is an independently owned bank with 28 branches in North Texas, providing personal and business banking services. It reports more than $2 billion in total assets and ranks as the 24th largest bank in Texas, according to size of total assets as of September 2013. ANBTX is a member of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) and participates in the Deposit Insurance Fund (DIF). The bank is headquartered in Terrell, Texas, with locations in Collin, Dallas, Hunt, Johnson, Kaufman, Rockwall, Tarrant and Van Zandt counties.
Through its ANBTX Insurance Services wholly owned subsidiary and its division Sleeper Sewell Insurance Services, the bank also offers personal and commercial insurance, group and individual health coverage and risk management services. Through its Wealth Management Group, ANBTX also offers wealth management, financial, trust and trust retirement services. Robert A. Hulsey has been president and CEO of ANBTX, which has been ranked as one of the top 100 places to work by the Dallas Morning News each of the last five years, since 1989.
Formerly named American National Bank of Terrell, the bank’s current charter dates to July 1, 1981, as a commercial bank, with a federal charter supervised by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC).
History and predecessors
The predecessor of ANBTX – Waters, Bivins & Corley Bank – was the first bank founded in Terrell on Nov. 22, 1875. The bank’s building was destroyed by a fire in 1882, but bank records and securities were protected in the bank’s vault. The bank relocated to Moore Avenue in Terrell; today that location houses the Terrell banking center for ANBTX. After some early partners joined and left the bank, the bank merged with Harris Bank and renamed itself Harris National Bank in 1895. In 1903, the bank changed its name to the American National Bank of Terrell. In 1930, the American National Bank of Terrell merged with the federally chartered local bank First National Bank. In 1995, American National Bank of Terrell changed its name to its current name, American National Bank of Texas.
Dallas National Bank: In 2008, ANBTX acquired Dallas National Bank and its holding company DNB Bancshares. Dallas National Bank had $85 million in assets at the time of the acquisition. The purchase increased the number of ANBTX locations to 28.
Citizens National Bank: ANBTX expanded operations into Tarrant County by purchasing Bryant-Irvin Bancshares and its subsidiary Citizens National Bank in 2007. Citizens National Bank based in Fort Worth, TX, reported $140 million in total assets at the time of the acquisition.
Sleeper Sewell Insurance Services Inc.: Acquired by ANBTX in 2005, Sleeper Sewell offers personal and commercial insurance, group and individual health coverage, and risk management services. It currently operates as a division of ANBTX Insurance Services Inc., which is a wholly owned subsidiary of ANBTX. Sleeper Sewell was founded in 1962 by Dwight Sleeper and is headquartered in Dallas.
Branches of Benchmark Bank: ANBTX acquired five branch locations of Benchmark Bank in October 2002, in Quinlan, Greenville, Royse City, and Lone Oak, TX.
Bank of Van Zandt: ANBTX merged with the Bank of Van Zandt, located in Canton, TX, in 1998. The merger increased ANBTX assets to more than $650 million at the time.
Area newspaper the Dallas Morning News has named ANBTX on its annual Top 100 Places to Work, annually from 2009 to 2013. The newspaper conducts employee surveys, studies employee turnover rates and uses other statistical measures to compile its annual list. In the rankings, ANBTX moved from 26th in the large business category in 2009, to 10th in the 2012 listing.
In 2012, ANBTX was named to the 10 Best Companies for Employee Financial Security, by Principal Financial Services. Principal states that an independent panel from the employee benefits and human resources industries judged entries and selected the 10 companies for the award, working with the public opinion and market research firm of Mathew Greenwald & Associates.
- Nov. 22, 1875: Waters, Bivins & Corley Bank opens
- 1882: Fire destroys its building; records and securities protected in bank’s vault; bank reopens
- 1887: Name changes to Harris Bank
- 1895: Name changes to Harris National Bank
- 1903: Name changes to American National Bank of Terrell
- 1913: Walter P. Allen named president
- 1930: 1930: Merges with federally chartered First National Bank; retains name American National Bank of Terrell
- 1943: Ben L. Gill Jr. named president
- 1967: Riter C. Hulsey named president
- 1989: Robert A. Hulsey named president and CEO; acquires Independent Bank with locations in Rockwall and Wylie, TX
- 1990: Acquires First State Bank of Crandall (TX)
- 1994: Acquires First National Bank of Allen (TX)
- 1995: Name changes to its current name, American National Bank of Texas (ANBTX)
- 1997: Acquires branches of Bank of America in Greenville and Wills Point, TX
- 1998: Acquires Bank of Van Zandt
- 2000: Launches website, www.anbtx.com
- 2002: Acquires five branches of Benchmark Bank (in Quinlan, Greenville, Royse City, Lone Oak); acquires Jefferson Heritage Bank in Rockwall; acquires Union Planters Bank in Rowlett, TX
- 2005: Acquires Sleeper Sewell Insurance Services Inc.
- 2007: Acquires Citizens National Bank
- 2008: Acquires Dallas National Bank
- 2009-2012: Named a Top 100 Places to Work by Dallas Morning News
- 2013: Sleeper Sewell Insurance Services Inc. acquires Planned Benefits Services, Inc.
As of March 2013, ANBTX reported having 34 locations in the following North Texas markets.
- Allen, Texas
- Benbrook, Texas
- Burleson, Texas
- Canton, Texas
- Crandall, Texas
- Dallas, Texas
- Forney, Texas
- Fort Worth, Texas
- Greenville, Texas
- Heath, Texas
- Hurst, Texas
- Kaufman, Texas
- Mansfield, Texas
- McKinney, Texas
- North Richland Hills, Texas
- Plano, Texas
- Quinlan, Texas
- Rockwall, Texas
- Rowlett, Texas
- Royse City, Texas
- Sachse, Texas
- Seagoville, Texas
- Terrell, Texas
- West Tawakoni, Texas
- Wills Point, Texas
- Wylie, Texas
- ANBTX corporate and banking website 
- City of Terrell, Texas, municipal website 
- Terrell Chamber of Commerce website 
- FDIC website 
- Annually published, ranked list of banks in Texas
- Published overview of ANBTX by Bank Encyclopedia
- Overview of Sleeper Sewell Insurance from Insurance News Net
- Published list of services offered by ANBTX
- Information from Better Business Bureau on ANBTX and leadership
- History overview of Terrell, Texas
- Historic buildings in Terrell, Texas
- Dallas National Bank Agrees to Sale, Dallas Business Journal, Sept. 19, 2007
- American National buying Citizens National Bank, Dallas Business Journal, June 13, 2007
- Overview of Sleeper Sewell Insurance from Insurance News Net
- Benchmark's rankings nice, but misleading, Dallas Business Journal, August 3, 2003
- Court papers show NationsBank's thinking about its Texas merger, Dallas Business Journal, May 31, 1998
- Overview of Dallas Morning News Top 100 Places to Work
- Think you’re good? Enter Top 100 Places to Work 2012, Dallas Morning News, March 10, 2012
- Ranking of American National Bank of Texas in Dallas Morning News Top 100 Companies
- Profile of ANBTX by Principal Financial Services
-  The Principal 10 Best, overview from Principal Financial Services]
- Website of Greenwald & Associates