The Wikipedia Library
Credo Reference donated 400 free "Credo 250" user accounts to Wikipedians in 2010 and 2011. These provided access to over two million entries from the reference works listed here. In August 2012 Credo expanded their offerings to the community from 250 to 350 full text reference works, after a survey was conducted to select the sources editors wanted most. Credo also offered to expand to 500 total participants, including reassigned accounts from editors who relinquished theirs.
Not everyone who wanted an account was able to get one, but accounts may be re-distributed if editors decide to stop using them. If you would like to *give up* an account, please add your name at the bottom of this page.
- Criteria for an account
- You have no free online access to Credo (at home or from wherever you edit most) through your membership of a university or public library. Please check here to see whether your local library subscribes.
- You will use the account to create/review content on any of the Foundation's projects.
- You have at least a 1-year old Wikipedia account with 1000 edits.
- Private and confidential information
- You will need to have a confirmed email address to participate. You understand and agree that your name and email address may be shared with a representatives of the Wikimedia Foundation, Wikipedia Library,* and Credo. While representatives of the Wikipedia Library are volunteers (not employees or contractors of the Wikimedia Foundation or JSTOR), they have signed confidentiality agreements with the Wikimedia Foundation with regards to the personal information they may handle for the Wikipedia Library.
|Credo Reference partnership pages|
There were approximately 124 available accounts (bringing the total to 500) to be given out by the end of August, 2012. If approved, you'll be sent a talk page message with a link to a form to confidentially add your email address so Credo can send you your password a few weeks later.
A note on account selection: Selection was semi-automated and no subjective decisions were made about who was 'worthy' of an account. The criteria were defined at 1000 edits and 1 year history. First, 37 non-English were given editors access in an effort to compensate for the prior lack of global promotion of the accounts. The remaining accounts were put in reverse alphabetical order and distributed as deep on that list as there were account available. This was done rather than first come first served since different notifications went out on different days and it really would have been arbitrary which people happened to see them first. For example, the watchlist notice did not go out until about two weeks after posts were made to places like Village Pump and Jimbo's talk page. There is a list of the remaining 100 editors who still want an account and we will: a) ask Credo if they will expand their offering b) update you as soon as more accounts become available c) continually provide access to those 'non-approved' editors if existing Credo users decide to give back their accounts. In the future I will attempt to send out all sign up promotions on the same day and may consider using first come first served. A last possibility is to ask one of the approved Credo users if they would be interested in giving you their account. For highly active users that might be seen as more beneficial to Wikipedia. Hopefully, the availability of sources like WP:HighBeam and WP:Questia will somewhat lessen any disappointment or frustration you are feeling. The effort to get access to research databases is far from over and we very much hope that more will become available to you and to all editors in the near future.
The sign up is currently closed; however there may be accounts available in the future. Please leave your name below if you are interested.
c 19:06, 22 August 2012 (UTC)
- MohandesWiki (talk · contribs)I have enough requirements in fawiki with MohandesWiki username.--MohandesWiki (talk) 09:52, 18 February 2014 (UTC)
- Mehran (talk · contribs) - Over six years activity and +11000 edits. Also sysop in fawiki. ●Mehran Debate● 16:58, 23 August 2012 (UTC)
- 2T from TH WP 2T (talk) 07:41, 25 August 2012 (UTC)
- Mehdiabbasi (talk · contribs) - I have enough requirements in fawiki with mehdiabbasi username. Mehdiabbasi (talk) 07:42, 27 August 2012 (UTC)
- Tony Sidaway (talk · contribs) English Wikipedia since 2004, many thousands of article edits. --TS 12:32, 30 August 2012 (UTC)
- AlleinStein (talk · contribs) vi.wikipedia.org since 2008, 6000+ edits.AlleinStein (talk) 13:13, 30 August 2012 (UTC)
- Bennylin (talk · contribs) more than 100.000 edits in Indonesian projects (Indonesian wp, Javanese wp, Indonesian wikt primarily). Particularly interested in documents for Wikisource (Indonesian, Javanese, Sundanese, and other languages of Indonesia)
- Rahmatdenas (talk · contribs) I'd like this one as well, has key resources not found elsewhere. Today, I have over 4,000 edits on Indonesian Wikipedia since 2011. This would be very valuable to me in all of areas. Rahmatdenas (talk) 08:29, 31 August 2012 (UTC)
- جواد (talk · contribs) Since 2009 , about 11,000 edits in fa@wiki Javad|Talk 16:38, 31 August 2012 (UTC)
- Mahan (talk · contribs) Over one years activity and +3000 edits in fa@wiki.--ماهان (talk) 08:59, 1 September 2012 (UTC)
- AliReza (talk · contribs) 2 years activity and about 12,000 edits in wikimedia projects (my home is fawiki).--AliReza (talk) 14:42, 12 September 2012 (UTC)
- RolandR (talk · contribs) Editor for several years, 17,000+ edits, would appreciate access to these resources for article creation and fact-checking. RolandR (talk) 19:26, 13 September 2012 (UTC)
- Zozo2kx (talk · contribs) Editor since 2008. I mostly edit on topics related to history/archaeology of the Ancient Near East, and particularly Syria. Better access to sources would be much appreciated. Yazan (talk) 13:19, 21 September 2012 (UTC)
- Tvoz (talk · contribs) Editor since 2006, just shy of 24,000 edits. Access to Credo would be very helpful for fact-checking, ref improvement and research for new content and article expansion. Tvoz/talk 18:40, 22 September 2012 (UTC)
- Kmhkmh (talk · contribs) I'm editor since February 2007 with around 7,500 edits on en.wp and 28,000 edits on de.wp. I work on wide range of topics and Credo would be useful for me for proofreading and and sourcing in article creation/augmentation.--Kmhkmh (talk) 12:09, 26 September 2012 (UTC)
- Raoli (talk · contribs) I'm editor on Italian Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons and particularly on Italian Wikiquote In the Wikipedia project I dedicate myself to creation of articles about actuality, groups of people and emerging technologies recently introduced (like QRpedia). On Wikiquote I add quotations about different thematic areas. Raoli (talk) 17:54, 3 October 2012 (UTC)
- Early morning person (talk · contribs)English Wikipedia member since 2009. 1600 edits. I mainly edit articles about sports figures (e.g. Wayne Gretzky), yoga, meditation. Intentions for future research: more of the same. Would be helpful in getting best refs for these articles. I frequently go to reference sources for scientific information.EMP (talk) 20:48, 9 October 2012 (UTC)
- Grandmaster (talk · contribs) ~20,000 contribs in en:wiki since 2005, mostly about history and politics. Grandmaster 16:58, 18 October 2012 (UTC)
- Sefid par (talk · contribs) ~2,000 total contribs. Sefid par (talk) 13:21, 1 November 2012 (UTC)
- محک (talk · contribs) Since 2009 , about 10,000 edits in mzn@wiki and about 4,500 edits in fa@wiki --محک (talk) 07:16, 4 November 2012 (UTC)
- Magnum2008 (talk · contribs), since 2008, +2000 edits in it.wiki, history science and technology.--Magnum2008 (talk) 22:29, 20 November 2012 (UTC)
- Naamar (Global User Manager). Art and General Reference. --Naamar (talk) 12:22, 26 November 2012 (UTC)
- kipalaBureaucrat at sw, user since 2005, a few 1000 edits. Kipala (talk) 19:19, 26 November 2012 (UTC)
- fajr18 (talk · contribs):3000 edits + over 1 years + one good Article in fawiki. I need for writing featured articles. Fajr18 (talk) 14:28, 27 November 2012 (UTC)
- I am always looking to expand my research resources and this would be a wonderful addition. Andrew (talk) 17:26, 11 December 2012 (UTC)
- Nearest participating library is an hour away; over 1500 (large) edits, hitting paid content limitations almost daily. Grollτech (talk) 22:19, 15 December 2012 (UTC)
- andrewman327 (talk · contribs): Access to this database would be very useful to both my content creation and my work at AFC. Andrew (talk) 19:08, 18 December 2012 (UTC)
- OrenBochman (talk · contribs) 9000+ edits on en Wikipedia, working on many subjects, interested in medical reference works BO | Talk 11:30, 2 January 2013 (UTC)
- Tenebrae (talk · contribs) I am a longtime Wikipedia editor, with nearly eight years and more than 75,000 edits to my credit. I have created over 200 articles, including the popular List of African-American firsts. While much of my work has involved popular culture, I've also created articles on newspapers (such as The Daily Compass and Cleveland News), institutions (Lighthouse International), and historical figures (Takeo Ito).
- فلورانس (talk · contribs) . hi my Dear wiki Friend i,m patroll,autopatrollers and Rollback in fa.wiki with More than 3416 edits in fa.wiki - i need to this accesse to Development my wiki edit , thanks Florence (talk) 00:13, 23 March 2013 (UTC)
- Hindustanilanguage (talk · contribs) I've personally conceived and created about 60 articles on Hindi, English and Urdu Wikipedia, besides thousands of edits across Wikis totaling to about 28000 edits. Credo will be a helpful tool for my editing pursuits. I am glued to Wikimedia projects since 2011. Hindustanilanguage (talk) 07:59, 1 April 2013 (UTC).
- Tucoxn (talk · contribs) I would like a Credo account if one becomes available. I've been editing on English Wikipedia since 2008, but I also edit on French Wikipedia, Fijian Wikipedia, and Simple Wikipedia. I currently have over 2,000 edits on English Wikipedia, with over 1,300 unique pages edited and six articles created. When I create a new article, I try to have it listed on the main page, at Did you know? I've also created several articles on Fijian Wikipedia. I write articles on plants, animals, and locations in the Pacific region, as well as notable deceased Americans. I intend to continue a similar pattern of editing. Access to Credo would help me because it's difficult to find reliable sources on some of the topics and the libraries in Fiji, where I live, are difficult to access and not well stocked. Thanks for your consideration! - tucoxn\talk 23:26, 7 May 2013 (UTC)
- Pratyya Ghosh (talk · contribs) I have 13000+ edits in enwiki and 17000+ global edits from 2012. I'm telling my reason very shortly. I edit articles and am also a student. So I think the Credo account'll be helpful for both purpose. Editing and giving reliable news and information at WP and study well.--Pratyya (Hello!) 10:06, 13 June 2013 (UTC)
- Taketa (talk) 18:26, 17 June 2013 (UTC) I am a medical intern. On Wikipedia I work on a range op topics, having made over 35,000 edits and over 4,000 articles. I believe that access to Credo may be usefull in gaining information, sources for my articles. I will probably also explore it to gain inspiration for new articles. Sincerely, Taketa (talk) 18:26, 17 June 2013 (UTC)
- Taty2007 (talk · contribs) I am a user on the Spanish and English Wikipedia, with more than 30,500 edits and some good and featured articles on the Spanish Wikipedia. An account with Credo will help me expand and improve articles, especially on Art and Literature subjects. Taty2007 (talk) 15:24, 24 June 2013 (UTC)
- Doc Taxon (talk · contribs): I am active in en:WP:REX and especially active in its German sister project de:WP:BIBA or de:WP:BIBR. I am looking for articles and literature for all the users who need it and for myself, to build well researched articles in English, German and Wikipedia of other languages. Thank you, Doc Taxon (talk) 05:51, 12 July 2013 (UTC)
- Smsarmad (talk · contribs) I am an English Wikipedia editor since 2007 with more than 26,000 edits. I applied for a Credo account last time and was selected for one, but the it never materialized. I mostly edit articles related to Pakistan. -- SMS Talk 12:18, 10 October 2013 (UTC)
- Froid (talk) I meet the requirements and will fulfill expectations. Credo will enhance my contributions to Wikipedia, when conducting research for the purposes of contributing or verification of preexisting content. My stats: # Froid (talk) 08:05, 28 October 2013 (UTC). First edit Sep 09, 2006 / Unique pages edited: 7,401 / Live edits: 20,734 / Deleted edits: 0 / Total edits (including deleted): 20,734.
- Aschmidt I would like to re-apply because I have found Credo Reference quite useful for my contributions, mostly to German Wikipedia.
- Spanglej Renewal Editing since Feb 2009, around 22000 edits, mostly literary biography content, 12 new biogs. I had Credo access for a year through WP and found it mighty useful for biog research and GA development. Span (talk) 16:00, 13 December 2013 (UTC)
If you have an account that you would like to give back, please add your name here
- Keithbob It doesn't provide access to periodicals and newspapers which is what I need.-- — Keithbob • Talk • 03:11, 10 September 2012 (UTC)
- Maile66 - Doesn't provide what I need. Maile66 (talk) 00:25, 12 September 2012 (UTC)
- Shearonink Have found I am not using it as much as I thought I would, want to make it available to another Wikipedia editor. Thanks, Shearonink (talk) 04:20, 31 October 2012 (UTC)
- SheepNotGoats I've got it through my public library now SheepNotGoats (talk) 17:59, 26 November 2012 (UTC)
- Dr. Karthikeyan This is not suitable for my wiki topics and my language. Thank you.--Karthi.dr (talk) 18:33, 11 January 2013 (UTC)
- J04n I never use it. J04n(talk page) 11:41, 1 April 2013 (UTC)
- User:Keraunoscopia Doesn't have what I need. Contacted them by email, but didn't hear back. – Kerαunoςcopia◁galaxies 02:52, 6 April 2013 (UTC)