This page is a notice board for things particularly relevant to Canadian Wikipedians or Wikipedians interested in Canada. Add any Canadian related articles in the appropriate list or sublist. Create a new sublist if an appropriate one does not exist yet. Please remove articles from this notice board once they have been dealt with appropriately.
- Discussion - Projects main talk page, where discussion about Canadian related Wikipedia matters take place.
- WPCanada automated pages
- WPCanada user generated pages
- Policies and guidelines
- Manual of Style - Summary of current conventions and writing styles for Canadian articles.
Current events/topical articles
- Catherine Galliford (currently a stub article) is the RCMP corporal who has brought forward allegations of extensive sexual harassment within the RCMP, and is now set to testify against the RCMP, on behalf of Pickton's victims and their families, at the Missing Women Commission of Inquiry.
Please review my updates to GCpedia which I have put on the talk page. Joymosk (talk) 14:53, 14 August 2012 (UTC)
Featured content candidates
- Featured Articles
- Featured Lists
- Featured Pictures
- Featured Sounds
Please link new candidates for Wikipedia's Did You Know section towards the top of the list, starting with the most recent article created/expanded date first. See Template talk:Did you know for current article nominations. Expansion and cleanup of candidate articles is also encouraged. Please add nominated or featured Did You Know? articles to the Did You Know? section of the Canadian Portal.
Candidates for deletion
Please add new entries to the top of the list. See also Wikipedia:WikiProject Deletion sorting/Canada.
Requested moves, mergers & splits
Please add new requests to the top of the list. Please link to a discussion of the requested move on the relevant talk page
- Postmedia News → Postmedia Network -- (Talk:Postmedia Network#Merger proposal)
- Kanaka Bar First Nation - Kanaka Bar Indian Band, per tribal council and other citations more exist for KBFN, but they're mostly wiki clones/sourced)
- Alexis Nakota Sioux First Nation ->Alexis Nakota Sioux Nation per the band's website
- Shackan First Nation -> Shackan Indian Band per the band's website
- Onyotaa:ka First Nation mergeto Oneida Nation of the Thames. One of a few stubs I've found which are the same as extant articles.
- See Talk:Douglas_Road#Name_discussion re a rename and other routes by that name, also re "Lillooet Trail" and "Douglas Portage". Primary colonial use of the term was the route from what is now Columbia & 8th via what is now Canada Way and the remaining main section in North Burnaby, which ends at Boundary Road but used to run to Hastings, Burrard Inlet (now New Brighton Park on the north side of the PNE and McGill St.
- Merge Nechako Region to Nechako Country. Merge discussion here.
- Category:Mountains of British Columbia to split by region/and or range per Category talk:Mountains of British Columbia, includes consideration of region-cat name problems.
- Comment Okanagan and Lower Mainland regions subcats have been created.
- Shearwater, Nova Scotia to CFB Shearwater (discuss)
- Should Canada – United Arab Emirates aviation dispute be merged into Canada – United Arab Emirates relations? The discussion is here.
- Kingcome, British Columbia v. Kingcome Inlet, British Columbia. BCGNIS has two localities; recent news items indicate "Kingcome Inlet" is most common usage, i.e. for the community as well as the inlet it's on. See Talk:Kingcome, British Columbia.
- Template_talk:Vancouver_Corporations#Should_be_broken_up_by_sector. My comments there apply only to creating sections within the template, but this could just as easily solved by splitting the template, so putting this here.
- Point Grey is currently a redirect to West Point Grey, and should be an article about the landform, and there should be a Point Grey (disambiguation) because of various other uses (e.g. the high school). See Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Vancouver#Point Grey.
- See here re "Saltspring Island" (current title, also official name) and "Salt Spring Island" (most common local usage).
- Peace River C, British Columbia and Peace River D, British Columbia. See Talk:Peace River Regional District.
- Columbia-Shuswap C, British Columbia and Columbia-Shuswap D, British Columbia. See Talk:Columbia–Shuswap_Regional_District#Merge_Electoral_Area_C_and_D_articles
- Gitlakdamix, British Columbia → New Aiyansh. New Aiyansh is the official community name, Gitlakdamix is the name of the people/band and is not in BCGNIS. NB New Aiyansh and Aiyansh placenames are at the same location, but New Aiyansh is the more current/common.
- All articles in Category:Regional district electoral areas in British Columbia have been tagged for merge to their parent RDs.
- Someone (Bearcat?) objected that since all of these are census subdivisions, then they get to have separate articles. But they're not the same thing as the census subdivision; the latter designation is coterminous with them, but they're not the same thing/function. if e.g. "Central Okanagan H" continues to exist, it should be stated as being a census subdivision which follows the boundaries of the EA; but it's not the same thing, nor has anything to do (other than those boundaries) with the function; one is a federal subdivision, the other is a provincial; that they share the same boundary does NOT mean they are the same thing. Problem with EA articles is people treat them like they're community or region articles, which they shouldn't be.
- Greg Selinger, current Premier of Manitoba, needs to be updated to cover the events of his premiership and particularly the provincial sales tax increase and subsequent events leading to the current leadership challenge.
- Toronto municipal election, 2014 needs to be updated with election results for all wards
- Beaver Lake Cree Nation has a huge clutter problem from "harv" templates not being properly placed in ref tags. This is what I've done so far but there's more, and I'm tired of it. Why was this done this way and by whom?`
- Das Echo - didn't tag it yet, but needs cleanup for refimprove and also clumsy language, evidently German idioms translated straight across; I'm wondering if it's an adaptation of the German Wikipedia article, though I haven't looked at that yet and my German's not good enough to analyze it that way. Has a bit of POV and peacock in it too.
- Tara Teng - grossly overwritten and UNDUE, promotional, peacock, trivia and more; removing Crime, Sex Worker and other extraneous wikiprojects. Very much a "fan" article by its principal author.
- Potlatch Ban - I've created the missing Potlatch Law, Anti-Potlatch Law...Reason this is here is that it's just a start, and there are a-stylistic caps and other issues, including no mention of the 1922 revisions to the law which made it more severe. Athabaskan Potlatch is a newer article, something of a POV fork (though OMR who created the first one admits it's mostly Kwakwaka'wakw in information; potlatching in different peoples was different, especially in the Interior), and full of bad geography/history but earnest, also in need of cleanup; both need expansion and more citations/further reading. Placed IPNA and WPCAN templates, high importance on the first WP, mid on WPCAN, and history/politics/bc switches. It's also an orphan, with only two or three articles linking to it, yet I know it's mentioned in other aboriginal history politics articles, just not linked there.
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Canada/Vital Canadian articles - Looking for a project? Notwithstanding the importance of the subjects, many of the articles on this list are in dire need of improvement.
- Television in Canada looks like it may need a lot of work. Although I haven't read the whole article, so I don't know if it even deserves all those maintenance tags, but there's a lot of them. Anti-Quebec sentiment is pretty tagged-up as well. -- œ™ 18:51, 23 March 2011 (UTC)
- Downtown Eastside - has cleanup tag already; rambling, mixed content, "article bloat", and the "organizations" section though in text comes off like a directory/commentary....and Chinatown/Gastown/Japantown content is jumbled up with content on what the common usage of the term means (vs. the city designation, which isn't just Hastings). Needs a chainsaw and de-directoryfying.Skookum1 (talk) 08:04, 3 January 2011 (UTC)
- East Vancouver - added cleanup tag .... lots of uncited claims/statements, jumbled logic, unlinked linkables, rambling content, needs some de-POVing/editorializing.Skookum1 (talk) 02:07, 26 November 2010 (UTC)
- I made some expansions this morning by copying over material and refs from Wilson's article; issue remains whether it should be "Judi Tyabji" or by her current married name "Judi Tyabji Wilson"....still needs improvements, see talkpage.Skookum1 (talk) 20:43, 7 November 2010 (UTC)
- Articles in Category:Nuu-chah-nulth need cleanup after non-MOS expansion.
- Dockside Green - sustainable development in Victoria, needs a lot of work. Sources have been identified on the talk page, but have not been implemented in the article. See Talk:Dockside Green.
Canadian cuisine - I just added this WP and WP:Food, which weren't there; the article is a mess, mostly uncited too. : Fixed Jeanpetr (talk) 16:38, 30 September 2011 (UTC)
- Wikipedia:Canadian wikipedians' notice board/Cities - Per WP:NC, an incomplete review of which cities in Canada do or don't merit moves to their undisambiguated city names.
- Wikipedia:Canadian wikipedians' notice board/Missing municipalities - A list of incorporated municipalities in Canada which do not currently have articles. Note that at the present time, this project is only for incorporated municipalities, not unincorporated communities or neighbourhoods.
- Category:Canada articles missing geocoordinate data - Follow the instructions at Template:Coord to add co-ordinates to these articles.
- Category:Unassessed Canada-related articles contains unassessed articles which should be updated with valid entries for class and importance parameters on the talk page WikiProject header.
- I've updated the how to fix backlog banner to point to the Canadian /Assessment page not the WP Assessment. Also added the assessbacklog banner for those interested in this part of the cleanup and for the Walterbot cleanup list. Argolin (talk) 01:00, 6 June 2010 (UTC)
- List of city nicknames in Canada – This list needs serious cleanup. In particular, references based on reliable sources (not user-generated media such as blogs, forums, tweets, etc.) for the hundreds of nicknames are required, as well as weeding out editor-derived/questionable nicknames from the genuine nicknames of widespread usage. I've cleaned up the Alberta section, and am looking to the members of the Canadian WikiProject to help out with the rest. I'll post requests for help on the provincial/territorial WikiProjects as well. Thanks, Hwy43 (talk) 07:20, 7 June 2012 (UTC)
Please add new requests to the top of the list. Please keep debates on the relevant talk page, and only use this section for a concise neutral description of the issue.
- Dominion of Canada is a redirect, but where should it redirect? Discussion at Talk:Dominion of Canada. Indefatigable (talk) 19:20, 18 November 2014 (UTC)
- Talk:Morris, Manitoba#Wikipedia is not a newspaper - Disagreement over whether to keep or delete a section titled "Recent history". The section describes racist behaviour in Morris, Manitoba in 2013. Many attempts have been made to delete the section. -- Kayoty (talk) 01:40, 24 August 2014 (UTC)
- Talk:Nycole Turmel. Disagreement over a paragraph pertaining to Bill C-565 (granting legislative protection to Gatineau Park). CJCurrie (talk) 04:09, 1 January 2014 (UTC)
- Sprott Shaw College appears to exist only for spamming purposes; see Talk:Sprott_Shaw_College#Spamming_this_page_on_town_links and also "what links here" on the article's page.220.127.116.11 (talk) 05:59, 10 December 2013 (UTC)
- Unsure whether to RM or not to RM at Talk:Beaver Lake Cree Nation.Skookum1 (talk) 02:38, 19 August 2013 (UTC)
- see Talk:Nuxalk_Nation#Nuxalk_art_site_ref. Skookum1 (talk) 05:23, 11 August 2013 (UTC)
- Talk:Straumfjörð has major OR and SYNTH problems and is really an ESSAY built on one word. It is someone's compilation of theories and full of rhetorical speculating....its author is apparently now using IP addresses to work on it, to avoid WP:OWN....Skookum1 (talk) 16:55, 10 August 2013 (UTC)
- See Talk:Alexis Indian Reserve 133#Alexis, Alberta - redirect it here? re localities and IRs with same names/contexts.Skookum1 (talk) 02:19, 10 August 2013 (UTC)
- Stave Falls Dam and Powerhouse. There's two dams, the other being the Blind Slough Dam. See Talk:Stave Falls Dam and Powerhouse#name issue.3B_suggested RM or reasons for one on that and related issues.Skookum1 (talk) 17:47, 9 August 2013 (UTC)
- Edit War over pronunciation of Abbotsford, British Columbia, from a persistent IP user/ I've reverted at least twice, Emarsee once, TBrandley once. See []. Either semi-protect the page or block him, this is past WP:BITE niceties now......Skookum1 (talk) 14:36, 22 July 2013 (UTC)
- This will probably need and official RfC that will decide, if there are RS, that both are in use.--Canoe1967 (talk) 21:43, 23 July 2013 (UTC)
- Fred Quilt redirects to Fred Quilt inquiry, and needs improvement and expansion; this was a seminal case/murder, 1971, that touched off the native civil rights/political revival; seems to me the inquiry should be a section within a retitled Fred Quilt title; and if it's titled "inquiry" it should be "Inquiry" unless there's a formal name for the inquiry i.e. that of the appointed judge/examiner. Quilt was a political leader of the Tsilhqot'in, also an elder; how much pre-case bio there is I don't know, it may be the inquiry is the main focus available.Skookum1 (talk) 16:31, 20 June 2013 (UTC)
- POV edits/removals of cited material by IP user on British Columbia Liberal Party. Please see my comments on Talk:British Columbia Liberal Party as to why I don't want to get involved, but I hope others will start keeping a close eye on this article, which regular tries at changing it in a POV/party-COI manner are very very common.Skookum1 (talk) 08:44, 20 June 2013 (UTC)
- Just to note that after another attempt to fiddle with cites and content on this page by obviously partisan IP users/SPAs, I've decided to de-watchlist it to save myself further grief, and any more accussations/hounding by said partisans. All I can say is this doesn't happen on NDP or Green or (much) on national Liberal Party pages. I de-watchlisted the Stephen Harper article long ago, and have done the same with Christy Clark and Adrian Dix. I don't need to be made a scapegoat/whipping post again, but I hope other experienced, conscientious editors keep an eye on all these articles and be very mindful of deceptive cites and POV citations, and deletions of cited content.Skookum1 (talk) 15:31, 21 July 2013 (UTC)
- POV tag removed because no discussion since 2008 (when it was me who placed the tag) on Bear Mountain (resort).....I would have thought it clear that since the article's content is entirely material critical of the resort, with "citation needed" tags, and more of those needed, that the anti-resort bias of the content was sufficient explanation by itself. Definitely NPOV in its current format, I'm too backed up with other stuff to bother reverting it, and I'm not pro-development myself, but this article, if it were about a living person, would be definitely beyond the pale of what's expected for fair, unbiased content in Wikipedia.Skookum1 (talk) 16:50, 14 June 2013 (UTC)
- Talk:The_Vinyl_Cafe#Suggestion_for_the_format_of_this_article - is there a standard WP format for radio shows? If not, is the one proposed appropriate?
- I'm gonna withdraw from Talk:Canada#Culture_section_and_strict_gun_control but I feel strongly this SPA should be taken to ANI for NPOV personal attack and blogging and WP:SOAP. I've got too much to do today; and I rarely complain about someone else's conduct to an ANI, this is way out of line though and far beyond the minor template issue in my previous whine. This guy is disruptive and accusatory and clearly has an agenda.Skookum1 (talk) 06:39, 9 June 2013 (UTC)
Requests for images
General requests for images: Wikipedia requested photographs in Canada
Requests for articles
Live article requests are located here
Requests for assessment
- Live assessment requests are located here.