Wikipedia:Editing Under the Influence
|This humorous essay contains comments by one or more Wikipedia contributors. It is not a Wikipedia policy or guideline, though it may contain advice. A potential measure of how the community views this essay may be gained by consulting the history and talk pages, and checking What links here.|
Editing Under the Influence refers to editing while not in one's usual state of mind. This can obviously have a variety of meanings but results in an editor reviewing their edits on the next day and universally proclaiming "I wrote that?" and back-tracking to amend their pronouncements of the prior eve. (The first and bolded twenty-two reasons are from the original page.)
- Please add reasons: To be fair, please add your reason/contribution at the end of the list. If you are reading this then you
maybeare suffering maybeparanoia perhaps (or not) ...
These edits may occur as the result of:
- Extreme emotional or giddy disturbance.
- An intense desire to get away from the family right now.
- An enlightenment as the result of too much acetaminophen.
- An excuse to escape from what needs to be done tonight.
- Don't bother me, this is important.
- That last glass of wine made me see things so much more clearly.
- I finally figured out what to say to Jimbo to make him respond.
- Time's running out, I better finish, I'm late for....
- Too late to go to bed anyway so I may as well WP for a while.
- If I look like this is important & intense then they won't bother me.
- Hmmm, TV sucks tonight, I think I'll make the internet not suck, (Ooooh).
- I'll just keep typing and someday they'll thank me.
- I'm tired, hungry, and thirsty, but 4,500,000 is right around the corner.
- I completely forgot to write that thing that I came to write!
- I read about the Wikipedia widow thing and that's definitely not me.
- I NEED TO RIGHT, WRITE NOW.Sorry, I NEED TO WRITE, RIGHT NOW. Sorry again, but I NEED TO SAY THIS RIGHT NOW.
- I have to keep writing, it's for my kid's future for God's sake.
- I'll need to tell everyone tomorrow what I did for mankind tonight.
- I'll show that user Raul that he's ....he's... well...well he knows it all (and he does).
- I came on online to tune my guitar but then... geesh!
- Influence? influence? Who me? No way man. I'm definitely not influenced by nobody, ya hear?
- I can do this because I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse.
- Sandbox? What sandbox?
- My calculus homework is impossible tonight! Maybe some editing will help me think.
- I've had the most unbelievably crap day and fought with everyone. I need to edit so I can cool off.
- Having thought that flame-war over with a drink or three, I've just come up with the most incredibly clever and witty answer Which unfortunately won't fit in the margin.
- If I don't add one last comment to that closed discussion, I will go insane.
- Having your brain smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick.
- I've drunk ten cups of the strongest coffee, and made the mistake of drinking ten more just so I could hog the coffee table while I edit Wikipedia.
- Editing under influence just because I can.
- I need to listen to all 10,000 songs on my iPod while doing something.
- I need to do something constructive, and Wikipedia just happens to be something I can construct something on, therefore counting as being constructive.
- My pet hamster is hogging the TV because it's time to watch Airplane!
- I have extreme diarrhea and am not wanting to do homework.
- I need to educate future generations about editing under the influence.
- I am in the middle of law school finals, I edit to think about something else.