Wikipedia:Featured picture candidates/Island of California
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Island of California
- One of history's great cartographic errors: a map of California circa 1650 as an island. Restored version of File:California island Vinckeboons.jpg. See also File:California island Vinckeboons5 courtesy copy.jpg (compressed version for viewers with slower connections).
- Articles this image appears in
- History of California through 1899, Island of California, Origin of the name California, Maritime history of California, Johannes Vingboons
- Johannes Vingboons
- Support as nominator. Not that it matters, but this is one of the toughest restorations I've ever done. Durova273 featured contributions 02:56, 2 July 2009 (UTC)
- Support - I looked at this several hours ago when Durova put this up, and though she had been saying on Skype how hard it was for the past several days, I had to say I had no idea that there was that much to do. But Durova, as always, did a marvelous job, and I hope that this will be the first of several Vinckeboons featured pictures. NW (Talk) 03:13, 2 July 2009 (UTC)
- Support Good restoration, and really shows how mysterious California was. Time3000 (talk) 07:19, 2 July 2009 (UTC)
- Support Just a great map, love the slick shading and deft hand. Great find. --mikaultalk 13:00, 2 July 2009 (UTC)
- Support That's awesome! Very encyclopedic and it totally reminds me of Escape from L.A. and how an earthquake separated Los Angeles from the mainland. Lol.
- Support The restoration makes the map much better.--Caspian blue 16:20, 2 July 2009 (UTC)
- Support Great work Gazhiley (talk) 08:27, 3 July 2009 (UTC)