The 15th New York City Meetup event will be held on Sunday, September 13, 2009 in the Columbia University area. This will be the ninth of the meetups with a session dedicated to discussing meta:Wikimedia New York City issues.
Topics on the agenda will include a review of the recent Wiki-Conference New York and initial thoughts on the next one, and planning for our Wikipedia Takes Manhattan photo scavenger hunt this fall, as well as the Wikimedia strategic planning process.
What, Where, When, and How?
There is one public meeting in the afternoon at Columbia University, where we take further steps to organize the Wikimedia New York City local chapter, and provide a salon-style forum for discussion of Wikipedia and Wikimedia issues.
Additionally, there is an optional post-meeting dinner at a neighborhood restaurant.
Main public meeting
(to discuss Wikipedia issues and Wikimedia NYC chapter issues):
- 1402 Pupin Hall, Columbia University. Enter the Columbia campus at 116th Street and Broadway. Pupin Hall is located in the Northwest corner of the campus, next to the large building under construction. Take the elevator to the 13th floor and then walk up one flight of stairs. Meeting to be held in the library at the east end of the hall. 2:30 PM - 5:00PM
Optional post-meeting meetup
- Meetup at Columbia, and then walk together to a neighborhood restaurant, to be decided upon. 5:00 PM onwards.
Late arrival info and Transportation
If you plan on arriving late, and are concerned about not finding your way to the group, you can drop your mobile phone number ahead of time at Special:Emailuser/Pharos (e-mail will not be able to be checked during the actual meetup time; leave requests ahead of time).
Nearby subway stations:
- 116th Street – Columbia University (IRT Broadway – Seventh Avenue Line) (That's the number 1 train)
Bring your own ideas!
- Follow-up on ideas raised in the May meeting and at Wiki-Conference New York.
- Chapter business
- We're incorporated- next steps, 501(c)(3) status, the future of the Treasurer position, and membership process for Wikimedia NYC
- Grants approved!
- Setting up local Internship Program—several of the interns/intern candidates should be our guests at the meeting, and we can discuss possible projects
- Future Wikipedia at the Library classes possibly at NYPL again, CUNY LaGuardia, Brooklyn Public Library, Wireless Harlem, other places
- Yiddish Encyclopedia digitization progress
- Planning Wikis Take Manhattan 3 at the new location for The Open Planning Project, as well as the Philadelphia event.
- Other suggestions for projects?
- Speakers and roundtable discussions
- A roundtable discussion on the Wikimedia strategic planning process—what are your favorite proposals? Maybe also we can try the eccentric Graphic Window exercise.
- A brief presentation from the creator of C-Registry on possible integration with Wikimedia projects.
Attendees of record
- Wikipedians/Wikimedians, from the sign-up sheet.
- Other guests
- Archana, Brenna and Yizi, interns/intern candidates.