|This page is an archive. Do not edit the contents of this page. Please direct any additional comments to the current talk page.|
Flag of Portland, Oregon
|When and Where|
|Time||February 9, 2013 (2–5 pm)|
322 NW Sixth Avenue, Suite 200
|City, State||Portland, Oregon|
Please join us on Saturday, February 9, 2013 from 2–5 pm for an Introduction to Wikipedia, followed by an open edit-athon. The event will be held at Collective Agency: 322 NW Sixth Ave, Suite 200 in downtown Portland.
(There's also a signup page on Meetup.com.)
- 2–3 pm: Introductory presentation by Pete Forsyth, with Q&A.
What's unique about Wikipedia? Why was it founded, why is it so successful? How does it work without a centralized editorial control? How does the software work -- that is, how can you get started?
- 3–5 pm: Edit-a-thon.
Bring your laptop, and any reference materials you like. We will form small groups and work on articles together; beginners can work with more experienced editors to get coaching and advice.
- To teach inexperienced editors how to contribute to Wikipedia
- To write, edit and improve Wikipedia's entries (specifically stubs) relating to:
- Portland's food scene
- Stuff that "keeps Portland weird!"
- Portland startup businesses
- Other ideas? Feel free to add to this list!
You're invited to the upcoming Wikipedia edit-athon, scheduled for Saturday, February 9 from 2–5 pm in Old Town. Sponsored by Wiki Strategies and Prichard Communications, the event will begin with an introduction to Wikipedia, followed by an edit-a-thon focused on Portland's food scene, all things that "Keep Portland Weird", and local startup businesses.
Details and signup here!
- --Another Believer (Talk) 17:13, 10 January 2013 (UTC)
- Pete (talk)
- Jake (talk) 01:22, 16 January 2013 (UTC)
- --Isaac Rabinovitch (talk) 07:16, 20 January 2013 (UTC)
- Blurpeace 13:05, 26 January 2013 (UTC)
- Hobsonlane (talk) 19:44, 31 January 2013 (UTC)
- llywrch (talk) 03:24, 5 February 2013 (UTC)
- Finetooth (talk) 18:20, 7 February 2013 (UTC)
- —EncMstr (talk) 08:55, 8 February 2013 (UTC)
- UseTheCommandLine (talk) 19:46, 8 February 2013 (UTC)
- Just checking in from India (as promised to Pete Forsyth through Facebook), as Feb 9 is dawning here. Will try to turn up online as my sun crosses your zenith tomorrow the same time! ViswaPrabhaവിശ്വപ്രഭtalk 21:43, 8 February 2013 (UTC)
- Sorry, I will be in India. I hope to meet Wikipedians in Portland this summer. Blue Rasberry (talk) 16:56, 15 January 2013 (UTC)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to February 2013 meetup in Portland, Oregon.|
- What a great turn out! I counted at least 25 participants throughout the afternoon. Pete presented an overview of Wikipedia and the general structure of articles. The group also discussed various policies and aspects of Wikipedia culture. Participants worked in small groups to improve articles related to health care, local startup businesses, stream ecology, etc. It was a pleasure to meet Wikipedians, expert and beginner, and I look forward to future meetups! --Another Believer (Talk) 20:51, 10 February 2013 (UTC)