- Are you a technical type? You may also be interested in the San Francisco engineering meetup group.
- See also: Bay Area Wiki Group (Wiki BUG)
Bay area Wikipedians and Wikimedians have gotten together for various events, formal and informal, several times a year, since at least 2007. There's a solid community of contributors around here; maybe related to the proximity of Silicon Valley and all the tech-focused creativity that brings; the rich non-profit presence in the area; and the presence, since 2008, of the Wikimedia Foundation's global headquarters. Please use this page to connect with other local Wikipedians! Add your name to a list, or just be bold and propose a meetup yourself! It doesn't take a whole lot of work -- then again, if you feel like doing something elaborate, go for it!
- Discussion: There is a mailing list for Wikimedians in the SF-Bay area, for planning and announcing meetups and other items of local interest.
- Add your name to the Invite list if you want to be invited on your talk page to future meetups.. thanks!
- Internet Censorship edit-a-thon (December 14, 2014) - Electronic Frontier Foundation: 815 Eddy Street, San Francisco, CA 94109
List of past meetups
|click "show" to see full list|
- So far the best plans are somewhere reasonably easy access to mass transit (ex: BART)
- When plans are set, get a Geonotice requested and sent out.
- Need to set hard dates farther out, so people can actually make plans to be at the meetups.
to do: apparently 10 people are 'waiting' for a meetup group on meetup.com in the SF Bay area -- we should start a page there and invite folks over here: http://wikipedia.meetup.com/
- Costs money, doesn't really give us anything.
Besides regular casual meetups we are involved in a few special events:
- The Wikimedia-SF group hosts a booth at the annual Maker Faire in San Mateo (generally in May)
- Many Wikimedians in SF attend Wikimania (August in Israel this year)
- West Coast WikiConference: -- January 15, 16, 17 2011 -- as part of 10th anniversary Wikipedia day celebrations. See the Meta page for more information, and WikiConference Bay Area for the old planning page.
- see WP:Meetup/Berkeley for a September event nearby
- A small /Edit-a-thon hosted by Peteforsyth (talk · contribs) and Kaldari (talk · contribs), perhaps early October
Possible Field trip locations
- Locations for future meetups/field trips:
- USS Hornet Museum 
- Prelinger Library 
- Alcatraz Island 
- Internet Archive
- Mount Diablo
- Fort Mason
- USS Pampanito (SS-383) 
- Eugene O'Neill National Historic Site
- Golden Gate Park
- Presidio of San Francisco
- Scavenger hunt (In the style of the NYC group)
- Picnic in the park (any park)
- United States Immigration Station, Angel Island has been open for almost a year, so I imagine the curators have some interesting items from the fire debris by now
- Mare Island Naval Shipyard, Mare Island Historic Park Foundation, historic ships moored nearby?
- participating in one of the Wikipedia:Wikipedia Loves Art events?
Possible meetup locations
- We are always looking for people to host/organize meetups (in all parts of the Bay Area) and ideas for good, central places for people to meet -- please make suggestions on this page!
- Citizen Space once offered to host us
- Noisebridge, on Mission Street in San Francisco
- Sudo Room in downtown Oakland has offered its space for possible meet-ups. Please contact Sudo Room member Eekiv for details.
- Tech Liminal in downtown Oakland loves hosting technology meet-ups. Past meetups include the women's Wikipedia edit-a-thon #3 with the League of Women Voters in December of 2012.
- Free culture groups:
- Local history:
- Oakland Wiki: They host Thursday 7pm general meetings at the Sudo Room, and will be having Sunday history edit-a-thons at the Oakland History Room starting January 13th. This could be a great way to simultaneously upload good historical content onto both wikis. Please find more info here.
- Architectural heritage societies:
- Consider organizing local history-related outings with other local non-profit projects such as foundsf
- Wiki Wednesdays don't seem to be going on any more ... or are they?