Wikipedia:New admin/Granting and revoking accountcreator
The accountcreator usergroup allows a user to bypass MediaWiki account creation throttles, as bots and administrators can, to create accounts for other users without restriction. Without receiving accountcreator access, a user may only create 6 accounts per day from the same IP. Due to the nature of this usergroup, it should only be granted to users that are actively participating in the account request process (ACC) and have been impeded by the account creation throttle.
This usergroup can be assigned and unassigned by any user in the administrators usergroup. For a current list, see List of users in accountcreator group
Granting accountcreator access
If a user has requested accountcreator, or you know a user who can benefit from having accountcreator:
- Check that the editor is identified per policy via Identification noticeboard.
- Check their contributions and account creation logs to see how they would use the tool. Please make sure that any accounts previously created by the user adhere to the policy on acceptable usernames.
- Once you have judged that they will use it correctly, go into Special:Userrights. This screen can also be accessed by going into the special pages, and clicking on User rights management, which is located in the "Restricted special pages" section.
- Type in the name of the user you wish to grant accountcreator to. In this case, type in "Example" for User:Example. If you type in a non-existent username, you will be informed of this. Also make sure that you are giving accountcreator to the user you intend to give it to, and not a possible imposter of that user.
- Press the "Edit user groups" button to bring up an Edit user groups screen.
- In the Edit user groups screen, you will see two lists: one titled Groups you can change and the other Groups you cannot change.
- Press the box next to "accountcreator" in the "Groups you can change" list to enter a check in that box.
- In the lower box titled Reason for change, explain why you are giving the user accountcreator (e.g., Testing on Test account; User is ACC editor requesting accountcreator)
- Press Save User Groups. The screen will blink and the User rights log at the bottom of the screen will be changed.
- At this point, you will have changed group membership for User:Example from (none) to account creator.
- Close the User rights management special page. Now, lets remove accountcreator access.
Removing accountcreator access
- To remove accountcreator access from User:Example, go into Special:Userrights.
- Type in "Example" as the username of the person you wish to remove accountcreator from.
- In the box called Groups you can change, the box next to "accountcreator" will be checked: click to remove this check.
- In the lower box titled Reason for change, explain why you are removing the user's accountcreator access. Here, use "Testing on Test account completed".
- Press Save User Groups. The screen will blink and the User rights log at the bottom of the screen will be change.
- At this point, you will have changed group membership for User:Example from account creator to (none).