Wikipedia:New admin/Granting and revoking rollback
The relevant page to see is at Wikipedia:Rollback policy.
Administrators have access to the rollback tool, which is used to revert multiple instances of vandalism. However, non-admins can also have access to the tool, and administrators can grant the feature to them. If the rollback tool is abused by continually reverting good-faith edits or for use in revert-wars, administrators can also remove a user's rollback rights.
Granting rollback access
- If a user (such as User:ThisIsaTest) has requested rollback, or you know a user who can benefit from having rollback, the first thing to do is to check their contributions to see how they perform reverts without the use of rollback. There is no minimum number of edits, but generally around 50 vandalism reverts is recommended.
- Next, check their block log to see if there has been any sign of edit warring blocks. Use your best judgement about how long ago the last block was.
- Check the user's talk page to see if there have been any warnings about the misuse of other anti-vandalism tools and if there have been any warnings about mislabeling good faith edits as vandalism.
- Once you have judged that they will use it correctly, go into Special:Userrights. This screen can also be accessed by going into the special pages, and clicking on User rights management, which is located in the "Restricted special pages" section.
- Type in the name of the user you wish to grant rollback to. If you type in a non-existent username, you will be informed of this. Also make sure you are giving rollback to the user you intend to give it to, and not a possible imposter of that user.
- Take a look at the log to see if they have ever had rollback before and if it was removed. If so, ensure the reason it was removed no longer applies (such as they learned how to use it properly, or they now know how to handle disputes).
- In the next screen, you will see two lists: one titled Groups you can change and the other Groups you cannot change.
- Press the box next to "rollbacker" in the Groups you can change list.
- In the lower box titled Reason for change, explain why you are giving the user rollback.
- Press Save user groups.
Removing rollback access
- To remove rollback access from a user for whatever reason, go into Special:Userrights.
- Type in the username of the person you wish to remove rollback from.
- In the box called Groups you can change, the box next to "rollbacker" will be checked: click to remove this check.
- In the lower box titled Reason for change, explain why you are removing the user's rollback access.
- Press Save user groups.