Wikipedia:Nominating multiple articles for deletion in a day
|This essay contains the advice or opinions of one or more Wikipedia contributors. Essays are not Wikipedia policies or guidelines. Some essays represent widespread norms; others only represent minority viewpoints.|
|This page in a nutshell: Deleting articles on Wikipedia is a last resort, and should be done with care. Raising multiple articles at Articles for deletion in a short timeframe can be counter-productive if due diligence has not been performed.|
Occasionally, users spring up on Wikipedia who have a sudden urge to nominate lots and lots of articles for deletion via articles for deletion. There may be legitimate reasons for this, but editors should take care before doing so, and remembering that every article should only arrive at AfD if a proper check has been done first to ensure there is no evidence whatsoever that the article cannot possibly be improved to suggest its subject is notable.
Good reasons for nominating lots of articles
- Using an understanding of the notability guideline along with any relevant notability guidelines relating to the subect such as the notability guidelines for books, academics, events, films, numbers, organizations, companies, people, sports topics, and web content.
- Looking through all of the sources and determining whether they are reliable and have significant coverage.
- Spending enough time searching for reliable sources as laid out by WP:BEFORE.
- At the very least searching by using Google, Google News, and Google Books.
Bad reasons for nominating lots of articles
- Saying that the articles are non-notable just because you are not familiar with the subjects.
- Nominating the articles for deletion just because you think that the article is a mess.
- Nominating the articles for deletion just because there is a conflict of interest.
- Not bothering to do anything with reading sources or searching for sources.
- Not giving any reasons to other members why you nominated the articles for deletion.
There is a belief held by some members that nominating a bunch of articles is unconstructive even when you take constructive steps. When nominating multiple articles for deletion, you may face opposition. Your actions may invite discussion in other places, such as the administrators' incident noticeboard. If this happens, you may suddenly find the attention you inadvertently attract means that many more eyes will be looking at your actions with close scrutiny. Don't let the opposition irritate you because there is no guideline or policy about nominating multiple articles for AfD in a day especially with constructive steps.